xisto Community
thejode

Ps3's Hidden Features

Okay, so I bought my PS3 back in June of 2008. Came bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4 and one remote control. There was no slim back then, so I still have to stick with the fatter version. Anyhow, exploring the features one day, I came across a setting that read " Install Other OS". Other OS? What the heck? I did my fair share of online research and figured out that you could install Yellow Dog Linux, Ubuntu, whatever, onto the PS3.(Interestingly enough it only listed Linux based platforms). Also, your warranty IS NOT voided if you choose to install these foreign OS's.What I'd like to know is:1.) What was the real reason for Sony to stick these options on the PS3? I don't think they intended the PS3 to be run as a Linux computer.2.) Why did they eliminate this feature with the new $299.99, slimmed down, 120GB PS3? Could it be that they decided to cancel the project?I need answers.Thanks,Thejode

Edited by thejode (see edit history)

1.) What was the real reason for Sony to stick these options on the PS3? I don't think they intended the PS3 to be run as a Linux computer.

They did actually, as far as I know. Due to the colossal power of the PS3 it was thought people would like to run other OSs on it to take advantage of that power. Unfortunately they locked down the graphics chip, so you couldn't do a lot that required graphical power, such as playing games (otherwise people would buy a PS3 and then play games on Linux :P ). Plenty of people used them as PCs though, browsing the web and typing documents and the like.

2.) Why did they eliminate this feature with the new $299.99, slimmed down, 120GB PS3? Could it be that they decided to cancel the project?

To stick with Sony's tradition of removing features from new versions of products rather than adding them? Because they're mean? Who knows? As far as I'm aware there was no technical reason to remove the feature, so either they were fed up with supporting it or just felt not enough people made use of it to implement it on the new slim versions.