xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ORene

Social Stratification In The Highschool

The popular, the geeks, the darks, the library rats; those are some of the stereotypes that high school students give to themselves. However, every student is unique in his or her own style, and sometimes it is difficult to know in which group they fit in. Consequently, classifying them just like this can be too vague and erroneous. So, how can we classify students without getting this wrong? The solution is very simple. There is something you can easily see in every student: their interest in school. By taking only this into count, students can be grouped in three big categories: the ones that do not care about school, the ones that care too much, and the ones that take it responsibly light. In the first group are those who are careless about school. This one is typical of the darks, the bullies, the football players and the fashion girls, but they are not the only ones. These kinds of people are easily recognizable because they are often wondering about other things, like the party of the weekend, football games or about their couples and they usually put everything before school. Of course, they do not care about class; consequently, they do not pay attention to their teachers, they get distracted chatting or just doing nothing and they do not do most of their school work. Therefore, they do not have good grades, and they often fail. Sometimes they can be a little responsible when they start to care about school, or when they are afraid to get punished; but most of the time they just prefer everything but school. On the opposite side, there are students that care too much about school. Moreover, they tend to be perfectionists. An example of this group is what is called ?a library rat?. It is the typical student that always carries huge and complicated books and that spend most of the time on the library. In most of the cases, these students are the first in the class because of their good grades and their dedication on school. They care too much and they do anything to get the highest grade; they spend hours checking their homework and exams and they try to be the favorite students of the teachers. In some cases, they even renounce their social life to concentrate completely on their studies. It is not bad to get good grades, but these people take this too far. For example, in my school there is girl that is known to be always reading or in guitar lessons. She barely talks, unless it is something relevant to school, and she never hangs out with friends ? if she has any. In some cases, this kind of student can have some social life, but the obsession of getting the best grades often gets them really overloaded and stressed. In the middle can be found the students who care about the school but take those issues light. This kind of student is the ideal one. They do not get stressed about school because they do everything they can and they are satisfied with themselves, but they are responsible enough to do everything and get good grades. I consider myself in this case because I do all my responsibilities and I care about learning, but I also care about my real life, not only about academics. I hang out with my friends, I take acting and singing classes, I get good grades and I learn new things on Internet on my free time. I seldom get stressed with my school projects and I regularly do them early so I can have some spare time. A fairly responsible student is the one that keeps the balance between school and personal and social life. High school students can be quite difficult to classify according to their personality; that?s why classifying them by their interest in school is more effective: the reckless ones, the obsessive ones and the responsible ones. The first ones prefer things other than school, and they get low grades and often fail. The second ones, on the contrary, concern too much about academics. The third ones are the ideal group because they are the midpoint between the careless and the obsessive ones. Considering all the factors mentioned before, I ask you, in which group are you?