xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hamor

Oba Mao T-shirts Beijing puts foot down on ?Oba Mao? T-shirts

What do you think about them banning the sale of the Oba Mao T-shirts in China? I find it kind of creepy because it seems like this was done with the intention honoring the President. Do the Chinese people maybe no something we don't? That's unlikely! We still have the freedom to ware those T-Shirts here, but how long will that last. I'm interested to hear some opinions on this one.

Being in the USA, it's hard to imagine a government that would ban a freaking T shirt. I've seen lots of lewd, vulgar, funny, political T shirts in this country that nobody has at least yet considered banning. Though I am not convinced that if you started to wear an "Obama Sucks" T shirt, they might consider it. I feel rather sorry for the people of China that have to live under the conditions of so little personal freedom that they can't even express their own feelings or opinions. Glad I'm in the USA, afraid I wouldn't last very long in China!

In our state, there is a saying..."If you want to kill a goat, first tell others first that it is a dog, not a goat. Then, when this idea is widespread, tell others that it is not just a dog, but a mad dog and can infect people and kill them. Then the people will kill the 'mad dog' and your job of killing the goat is done".Many governments are using this trick to ban people's rights to decide what to think, speak or write. Unfortunately, China is always in the wrong side of the news... What is freedom, if we can't think on our own !

people keep on saying that China is going to become the next superpower of the world - but with such policies it's never going to survive on the inside! It may be great and all to the world but to its own citizens its like a prison :)

God forbid I stick up for China here, I mean, what kind of red-blooded American would I be if I did such an un-patriotic thing as that? But, the thought has occurred to us (I talk to myself on occasion) that maybe this little bit of "news" is just pure propaganda to keep us telling ourselves we're so lucky to live in a country that's "free" and not that fascist Red China place over there that keeps stealing our jobs and selling us trinkets that break within a few weeks filling our land fills. Free thought and political expression has always been the enemy of fascist governments throughout time immemorial. From the first European and other settlers in America till now there has always been a tug-of-war between the citizens and their overlords with free speech and political discourse providing the rope. I wonder if some of my fellow Americans have seen the political cartoons that have been running in Australian newspapers for months and years. No? That's because they're banned here. If a newspaper editor were to publish one of them in the Times, he'd be out on the street the same day looking for a new job. Not an "official" ban perhaps, but a ban none-the-less. Don't be fooled into believing this is the "land of the free" before you visit other countries. Start with China, then go to Taiwan or Singapore. Follow that with a tour of S. America. Get some perspective. America is free like "Wilson - Phillips" represent "musical creativity" or Republicans represent real conservatism and choice. Sorry to burst your balloon. Grow up. (Not saying that to anyone in particular.)

After a short sweet internet search I conclude the shirt was banned in China only during B.O.'s visit because their government officials believed it may offend "his highness".

What do you think about them banning the sale of the Oba Mao T-shirts in China? I find it kind of creepy because it seems like this was done with the intention honoring the President. Do the Chinese people maybe no something we don't? That's unlikely! We still have the freedom to ware those T-Shirts here, but how long will that last. I'm interested to hear some opinions on this one.

It seems pretty bad. China's people have absolutely NO personal freedom, like their recent bans with twitter and other sites. Personally, I don't even see why people there would get all huffy about some t-shirt. I've seen REALLY offensive t-shirts here in the US (Like this one guy at an airport, who sported a beautiful FCUK WORK t-shirt), but I don't think anyone has ever considered banning them. I really think China has to let a looser leash on all this no personal space crap. It really makes life hard there.