xisto Community
Baniboy

What You Think Defines An Organism? reading the description wont get you anywhere, click the link

I didn't see this one mentioned.Viruses are not considered forms of life because they don't metabolize anything. They can't "eat" anything in their environment, convert it into some more useful form and then rid rid of what's left over (what they don't need). Viruses can't do this. They have to get everything they need ready made from the host they are infecting.And ....I think the "Responds to stimuli" is a sort of silly condition just as it is. It's true alright. All forms of life respond to stimuli. So does everything else. If you kick a pebble, it moves. It's responding to a stimulus. If you say "A response caused by the application of energy generated by the organism", that would make more sense to me.I don't see what the origin of life has to do with a definition of it. Whatever characteristics we decide "life" has it either has them or it doesn't. It doesn't really matter how it got that way.