xisto Community
rougue

Locked In My Own Pc i cannot copy files out my own PC

ladies n gentlemen, good-day! i am a newbie here so please do bear with me if i have posted my topic in the wrong place...I am using an HP computer running windows XP professional SP3, when i copy items/ files onto the desktop, i cannot copy them out, if i attempt to copy them onto an external harddrive or memory stick i get a message saying something like insufficient free space (even with a harddisk thats 16times bigger than the file i.e. 160Gb free soace), when i try to burn them to disk, i get an access denied message, i tried to take ownership of the file, but it seems i cannot because the option for some reason is not available, i have tried to delete all users who have access to the files and grant myself full rights to the file it still does not work, tried using the Administrator account it dont work, last resourt was logging in with the System account it still did not work, i've ran outa options, please do help...i tried formating the external drives n memory sticks, and even changed the file-systems (NTFS and FAT32) it still did not work, please advice...

Download Ubuntu 9.10 ISO image. This is linux, it is an alternative operating system. Burn the image to a disc (you can download 7zip, and just treat it like a ZIP file, extract it to the CD) once burned put the disc in, reboot the machine and boot to the CD. Select your language and choose "Try Ubuntu without making any changes" Linux will load up. Once it is loaded you will see "Places" at the top, click that, then click "Computer" choose your hard drive which will be something like "160gb media" or however big your hard drive is. Try them all if you cant find it, you will know when you get the right one when you see the windows folders like "windows" "Program Files" "Documents and settings" etc.... Now just find the file(s) you want to copy over. If it's on your desktop it will be in "Documents and settings/YOUR USER NAME/Desktop/" You should now be able to copy them over without any problems at all.It's strange that you cant do it while on the winxp admin account. There are other ways im sure but this is the way i would do it.