xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
8bit

Where?

nothing interesting?why you can run vi, no?:DAnyways, there is nothing such as "original" linux, there are many distributions of linux out there. Most of them are pretty standard. Like they use the same file system, same types of packages etc...If you haven't used it before it is a good idea to get help from someone who did. It is not as easy as windows because you are not used to it. The link round gave is the best source of linux cd images so go there and help yourself. If you need anything, feel free to ask.

Yea get yourself a linux on cd and play around with it before making the plunge of a whole new system OS, i hate hearing stories about how people put linux on their machine and then complain about wanting Windows back because they dont like linux, research, research, research

If you wanna check it out first before actually getting rid of Windows, download the image of Knoppix and burn it on a CD. That distro runs entirely off a CD and you won't need to format your harddisk or anything.

well, any proper distribution is about 1-2 cds big, most of the time even bigger with all the added packages etc...There are distros that fit into a floppy disk, but I don't think that is what you are looking for. They are designed to be used in old computers to utilize them as maybe network routers, or simple terminals etc...My current favorite is Gentoo. Much newer than some of the other ones like Red Hat (used to set all the standards). These guys have an easier step by step process to actually compile the whole system from the source.Suse also used to be pretty good, very easy to setup and very user friendly.Mind you, these distros will be bigger than Knoppix. Knoppix is only a single CD if I don't remember incorrectly.

Ok I'll find a mirror for knoppix and how do you do the .iso thing so it will run? do i need to make a boot diskette?EDIT: Holy crap!! The only USA mirror is Purdue and it's in my same city but it's still gonna take a long time!

Edited by 8bit (see edit history)

hah, I'm gonna pay Purdue a visit in the next weeks maybe!you have to burn the .iso to a cdrom, that cdrom will then be bootable. So pop it in and restart your computer, you may need to change some settings in the BIOS to actually boot from the cdrom but it should boot and up in the OS.

My computer is gonna beshut down before this thing ever finishes!!! Is there any other Linux distribution that runs off the CD? And all the ones at linuxiso.org run of CD right?EDIT: ...ok now for some reason when I download Knoppix from linuxiso it goes faster!