xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Wireless network between XP laptop and Vista desktop: problem using HP printer Sharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

Wireless network between XP laptop and Vista desktop: problem using HP printerSharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

I have set up a network which works ok between my XP laptop and Vista desktop using an Orange Livebox wireless connection.

However, the HP 5150 deskjet printer is on the Vista machine.  I've set it as a network printer and set both machines to share the printer.  When I follow the 'Add' printer routine on the XP laptop and try to install the driver, it tells me it can't be found and is looking for an '.Inf' file.  I can't browse to this as I don't know where it's located on the Vista machine and the only CD I have is the original XP HP one.  I tried to use the drivers on this but nothing would work.

Is there any way I can get the XP laptop to locate the necessary driver or is there one I can download from somewhere (if so, which one is it?)  If I can find it, should I locate this on the Vista machine and browse to it there from the laptop or put it locally on the laptop and then browse to it while doing the 'add printer'.

This is driving me mad!

-Question by Bertie

solutionWireless network between XP laptop and Vista desktop: problem using HP printer

download both vista and xp drivers.. Then after installing your printer on your vista go to control panel>printers>right click you're printer>run as admin> sharing

Then share the printer by clicking share this printer

then after that u will see "additional drivers" button.. Click that then find the inf file for the windows xp...

hope that helps! feel free to email me if you got questions