xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sinister

Haves Any One Tried Longhorn

I have tried it for a few hours. You should know that my system has an AMD 1700+, 256MB RAM, GeForce MX400 and HDD 120GB. As you can see my system is not even somewhere on the middle of the market, it is old in fact. But still it worked pretty good. Well pretty good doesn't meen good, because it didn't work fast at all but someone told me that on 256MB RAM you will die next to it. Longhorn has potential and with some optimization I think it will work pretty fast. I also heard that in Longhorn is a service called WinFS that is a radical new improvement to the indexing service but slowes the computer very much (half the speed).One thing I hated at Longhorn was the themes. Horrible! I can only hope that they will fix that problem. The new API, Avalon, 3d desktop, will sure make the desktop much nicer in 3d. Couldn't test that function because my video card was too old. Bottom line is that Windows Longhorn has potential. I hate Microsoft but I have to admit that Longhorn has potential. If they keep the good work it will be the new Windows 98.

Check out this site: http://winsupersite.com/article/product-review/longhorn-server-preview
I have used Longhorn out of curiosity and am thus far not too impressed. I have found that alot of features are available as addons to Windows XP. For instance: the sidebar, clock on Logon menu, IE integrated popup blocker... One of the greatest features that Longhorn was planned to be implemented with was WinFS. Sadly, WinFS has been delayed. I am sure Longhorn will be a great OS, but its delays are paving the way for Linux desktop systems to catch up with compatibilty, useability, efficiency, and popularity. Microsoft is definately trying to purge all bugs and security issues before Longhorn's release and for that I am willing to wait.

Hey Guys,Nice to see so much optimism but do you really think MS will change it's marketing strategy!-NOT!! You can bet that the "new" OS will be bloated & Huge & slow on anything but the newest (read- biggest RAM, fastest CPU, newest Video Cards etc.)computer systems. All the hype about totally doing away with the dependency on DOS & totally re-writing the kernal & source code is just that- HYPE! If they did that, then it wouldn't be backwards compatible with previous OS versions. Don't think they're going to cut their own throats financially re: "migration" to the new OS by doing that. Sure, it will have some "new" features, but since when has MS done anything but increase the bloated "footprint"(ie. disk space) & add "patches" to their previous security faulty source code AND charge megabucks for it ??? When ???. You can't build a good house on a lousy foundation. Sooner or later it all comes tumbling down. Hope I'm wrong because I'd really like to see more "inter-operability"/compatibility, efficiency & usability at a reasonable pprice for the comsumer. BUT ??? Just my 2 centsRGPHNX

I think people will migrate to this OS because of the fashion. When XP was released many sad it was full of bugs (and it is) and it will be another WinMe. But as you can see windows XP enjoyed a great succes just because it looks better and has some new features.It Longhorn is going to be as good as XP it will enjoy it's own succes simply because it's the future.

I've seen it. It's VERY beautiful. A friend of mine has it and it runs quite smooth for an Alpha version, so I think there won't be so much bugs in the final release, the only prob is that I am gonna need a new computer for it real bad!