xisto Community
Binod Singh

Linux Linux

(Xbox is really god but the biggest problem here in croatia(my city) is that the games for xbox are really expensive and here is only one store with Xbox games, but in Zagreb there is more games but like I say it's expensive and there is almost no way to get it ilegal to my city :angry: SO I will download all games trough wireless )

Binod Singh, First question is, what exactly are you wanting to accomplish with Linux? Are you wanting to just try Linux, are you familiar with Linux? If you are wanting to see what Linux has to offer and just "kick the tires, and drive around the block" to test it, then as others in this forum have suggested, use Knoppix. Knoppix runs straight from the CD, and it will also give you a heads up if Linux is compatible with your hardware. There is nothing more aggrivating than installing Linux and fighting with hardware incompatability, winmodems for one example. Other distros suggested in here are good as well, such as; SuSE, Mandrake, Redhat, and Fedora Core. One issue with SuSE and Mandrake is that you have to pay for those distros. However, thay are inexpensive as compared to Rehat now. Redhat has turned their community project over to Fedora Core. So, in order to get RedHat, or the Redhat name, you would have to purchase the Redhat Enterprise package which can go up as high as 1300 dollars(US). Now, Fedora Core 3 is supported by the community, it is free, and it is really Redhat under a new name. I have used Redhat, Mandrake, SuSE, and Fedora. They are all good distros, and fairly easy to set up. As for setting Linux up, I usually partion the Linux drives manually. A quick run through on how I set it up.1.) Set your Swap partition 2 * your RAM. (Ex. if you have 512 Mb of RAM, then 2 * 512 = 1024mb)2.) Set your /boot partition to 100mb3.) Set your /root to the rest of your free spaceThis allows you to have more control over the partitioning. I used to let the distros set mine automaticly, but it became really insufficient after a period of time. It was like my partitions were not allocated correctly, and I would somehow run out of /tmp space.