xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

The Summer Of 2009 its all but gone.

Well my friends. the summer of 2009 is just about gone. I was sitting here tonight thinking of how nice it was. remembering the things that I did and loved and also hated. I was curious to know what you did over the summer and what you liked and disliked of the summer of 2009My likes are very easy. I live here in New Jersey USA and have for 10 yrs now. You would have thought that I would have done this by now but I have not until now. I went fishing in the open Atlantic. About 10 miles out off the coast. Did not catch a thing but sunburn and a slight case of sea sickness. But I honestly had the best time of my life. Just may have to do it again next year too.As for what I liked least? I guess it would be as much rain as we had this year. that and the cool summer. just 1 or 2 days at 90F what about you all? what was your summer like

There is no doubt as to what we did this summer. We mowed the yard and then we mowed the yard and then we mowed the yard. It kept raining and making the grass grow, and we kept mowing the stuff. I think we made it to the creek one time to go swimming and once for a weiner roast. That was it. Very depressing. Of course, it was great for cattle producers, and those making hay had pleny of hay this year, (if they could get it cut, raked and baled between showers) For all the mowing, we didn't even get much of any garden planted, so we could of taken advantage of the good growing year. And I didn't have to water my flower bed not even once all year. The soaker hose is still haning on the fence, too busy mowing grass to get it layed down. We did take off this past saterday for a little while and went to a pioneer days here locally. It's always fun to see the old time crafts in operation. Our son was demonstrating making split rail fenceing, there were lots of others there too, making shingles, soap, roap, wagon wheels, quilts, iron work, and all that kind of stuff. They even had a team of mules pulling an old cycle bar mower cutting grass. They had lots of mules and horses and wagons driving around giving people rides. The area they had it on is a beautiful spot, along a creek. It's on private property, so is not overly developed and comercialized. The property owners live there in a beautiful log cabin that overlooks the big field where the events were held. Supposedly a cave near by, but we weren't that ambitious to walk far enough to see it. All and all it was a really pleasant event.

I've always wanted to do a proper sweat lodge session, we have saunas here in Europe but I somehow feel the experience is rather tame in comparison.The leaves are turning to fire here as well and time is running out to collect forest herbs and roots.Yesterday I was out by the woods and a blister from running on my foot got quite raw. A single hazel leaf saved me a lot of agony for the walk back home.Thank you once again Nature!:) Peace and harmony to you:)