xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
manish-mohania

How To Install Drupal 6.13 A tutorial on how to install drupal 6.13

Hi,

I recently installed drupal at my site, so I thought of sharing the experience with you ..

Here are the steps to install drupal :

1. Download latest version of drupal
https://ftp-origin.drupal.org/files/projects/drupal-6.13.tar.gz

2. Login in to the CPanel with username/password provided by the web host.

3. Use the filemanager provided by the CPanel to upload drupal-6.13.tar.gz to your home directory ie. /home/your-username

Note: /home/your-username is often represented by a home icon.

4. Extract drupal-6.13.tar.gz to directory /home/your-username

Note:
a ) select file drupal-6.13.tar.gz
b ) right click file drupal-6.13.tar.gz
c ) choose from menu extract option
d ) specify the directory where to extract the file.

5. After extraction you will find a directory named drupal-6.13 in your home directory i.e /home/your-username

6. move the contents of drupal-6.13 to your public_html directory

Note: If you want to install in a subdirectory under public_html, you can do so, this way your drupal installation can coexist with your current website installation.

Now, since we have successfully uploaded the drupal and has placed in a proper location, It is time to setup the database.

7. Create the database from CPanel, lets say drupaldb

8. Create a new user for this database, or assign it an existing user

9. Please, note the database name, username, password, as we are going to use it later.

We have successfully setup the database, now we will configure the drupal to use this database.

10. Use the filemanager provided by the CPanel, to copy public_html/sites/default/default.settings.php to public_html/sites/default/settings.php

11. Use the filemanager to change the file permissions of settings.php to read,write by others

Note: This is required because, later drupal will try to edit this file for which it will need a read/write permission.

12. Use the filemanager to edit settings.php
Look for line like this:

$db_url = 'mysql://username:password@localhost/databasename';

Change username to your-db-username
Change password to your-db-password
Change databasename to your-db-name

Note: These settings will be required by drupal to connect to the database.

13. Use the filemanager to create a new directory named files under public_html/sites/default/

14. Use filemanager to change permissions of public_html/sites/default/files to read/write/execute by others.

Note: Drupal save uploaded files in this directory, so it will need these permissions.

15. point your browser url to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Voila !!! we have come to the installation screen of drupal :P

16. choose the language in which to install drupal.

17. If all went well then, drupal should have done the following steps by now:

a ) verify requirements
b ) setup database
c ) install site

If something went wrong, you can post your queries here :lol:

you should be looking at configure site screen now and drupal should be showing the warning to remove write permissions from the sites/default and sites/default/settings.php

18. Use the filemanager to remove the write permission for others in sites/default and sites/default/settings.php

19. Configure site, by providing:

a ) From email-address
b ) Username, password to be used to login as administrator

Congratulations!!! You have successfully installed drupal

20. point your browser url to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to access your drupal site.

Drupal Home Page : https://www.drupal.org/

Yeah..Michael (SM) told me about Drupal on MSN, but I tried it and wasnt what I expected. I just want a simple little script/code that can get all gaming news topics posted onto our homepage automatically. Is there any script that can do this? HTML, PHP etc?

Yeah..Michael (SM) told me about Drupal on MSN, but I tried it and wasnt what I expected. I just want a simple little script/code that can get all gaming news topics posted onto our homepage automatically. Is there any script that can do this? HTML, PHP etc?

Yes there is. Let me just fetch it I will either post it here or a diffrent topic.