xisto Community
raintearz

Help Desk Professional professional helpdesk

hey guys just need some professional answers here because i have no idea about helpdesk thanks for reply in advance for your experience

Scenario

You are on the Help Desk during the time that the new computers are being introduced. One of the managers in your company has difficulty using his computer.

He ring's you on the help desk quiet frequently.

1) On Monday morning the help desk phone rings. What do you say first when you answer it?

It is important to say thank you for calling, as customer must feel comfortable with calling the helpdesk for assistance, answer the call as a general call such as;

2) Is the above manager internal or external client?

3) It's the manager on the phone. He doesn't identify himself and you hear:

"My printer isn't working. It worked yesterday. I have lots of stuff to print and i want it fixed now!"

What would you say first to calm down the manager?

4) Write down the three closed questions that you could ask the manager to find out what his problem is.

a )

b )

c )

5) Write down two open questions that you could ask this manager.

a)

B )

Edited by raintearz (see edit history)

1) On Monday morning the help desk phone rings. What do you say first when you answer it?
It is important to say thank you for calling, as customer must feel comfortable with calling the helpdesk for assistance, answer the call as a general call such as;

Thank you for calling, _____. My name is _____. How may I help you?

(This is the most common script. Opening spiel is very important so it has to sound perky but still formal.

2) Is the above manager internal or external client?

This is a tough question. You will have to ask for information to pull-up some of the manager's records. If you're the help desk, you should have a list of managers or accoutns/clients which could aid you hasten the support process.

3) It's the manager on the phone. He doesn't identify himself and you hear:
"My printer isn't working. It worked yesterday. I have lots of stuff to print and i want it fixed now!"

What would you say first to calm down the manager?

Emphatize with the manager. Say something like "I understand how frustrating it must be to not be able to print those important documents. Let's work together to get it working again. To get us started, I'll be asking some questions so we can figure out what's the real cause."
Never say negative words like "don't" "can't". And control your tone. Say words like this loud and clear.

Empathy statements create impression that you are on the same shoe as the client. Make it brief though. Use "Us" "We" to create an impression that both of you will be working. Never use "I" and "You" when you're giving procedures.

4) Write down the three closed questions that you could ask the manager to find out what his problem is.

Close-ended questions are answerable by Yes or No or a specific answer (e.g. Name, Phone Number, OS, etc.)
a ) What is the model number of the printer?

b ) What is the operating system of the computer where the printer is connected to?

c ) Do you see any error message when you try to print? What does the message say?

5) Write down two open questions that you could ask this manager.

Open-ended questions are questions that aren't answerable by Yes or No or any specific answer.
a) What have you tried so far to get it to work?

:angel: What do you think may have lead the printer to ask this way?