xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

dual installation Dual Booting [fedora 10 -> Fedora 10 + Windows Xp]

dual installationDual Booting [fedora 10 -> Fedora 10 + Windows Xp]

hello, I have already installed fedora core 6, and I want to install windows xp on the same computer, how do I do it?

previously I was using winxp, and had partitioned my drive into two, now with fedora I cant access the other drive that has a lot of my personal data, how do I make the partition active without losing my data 

-question by walter ochieng

dual installation

Dual Booting [fedora 10 -> Fedora 10 + Windows Xp]

hello, I have already installed fedora core 6, and I want to install windows xp on the same computer, how do I do it?

previously I was using winxp, and had partitioned my drive into two, now with fedora I cant access the other drive that has a lot of my personal data, how do I make the partition active without losing my data

-question by walter ochieng

Well, can you still boot up the XP? I have never used Fedora, but have a dual boot Vista/Ubuntu setup.

I can use the explorer in Ubuntu to see everything on the drive...including on the Vista partitions.

I am not 100% sure of your question.

windows usually replace its boot with other operating systems and other operating systems like unix, linux provide this dual facility with windows. You can first install windows then fedora.

As mentioned in previous posts, best way is to first install xp then linux.

However, you can install winxp after the linux installation. Steps involved would be :

1. Install WinXp
2. Boot from Fedora bootable CD.
3. Boot Fedora in maintenance mode.
4. Reinstall Grub, with an entry for winXP in grub.conf file.

title Other		rootnoverify (hd0,0)		chainloader +1

I have provided all these steps in very overview type manner. It would be better if you do the installation with somebody already aware of dual boot.

It would even be better if you can avoid the installation and can access your personal data from Linux itself. Use the mount command to do that in super user mode:
mount /dev/sda1 /windows

Note:
1. /windows should exists and preferably empty.
2. /dev/sda1 represents the partition that contains your personal data. It may be /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3 ... depending upon the partition that you used for your personal data.

let us know what partition type(Fat32, ntfs) you are using for your personal data. Accessing it on Linux should not be a problem.