xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fermin25

Who Is Robert Kiyosaki? Are his books useful to learn to make money?

Robert Toru Kiyosaki (born April 8, 1947) is an investor, businessman, self-help author, motivational speaker and inventor. Kiyosaki is best known for his Rich Dad, Poor Dad series of motivational books and other material. He has written 15 books which have combined sales of over 26 million copies.[1] Although beginning as a self-publisher, he was subsequently published by Warner Books, a division of Hachette Book Group USA, currently his new books appear under the Rich Dad Press imprint. Three of his books, Rich Dad Poor Dad, Rich Dad's CASHFLOW Quadrant, and Rich Dad's Guide to Investing, have been on the top 10 best-seller lists simultaneously on The Wall Street Journal, USA Today and the New York Times. The book Rich Kid Smart Kid was published in 2001, with the intent to help parents teach their children financial concepts. He has created three "Cashflow" board and software games for adults and children and has a series of "Rich Dad" audio cassettes and disks. He also publishes a monthly newsletter.

Teachings

A large part of Kiyosaki's teachings focus on generating passive income by means of investment opportunities, such as real estate and businesses, with the ultimate goal of being able to support oneself by such investments alone. In tandem with this, Kiyosaki defines "assets" as things that generate cash inflow, such as rental properties or businesses�and "liabilities" as things that use cash, such as houses, cars, and so on. Kiyosaki also argues that financial leverage is critically important in becoming rich.

Kiyosaki stresses what he calls "financial literacy" as the means to obtaining wealth. He says that life skills are often best learned through experience and that there are important lessons not taught in school. He says that formal education is primarily for those seeking to be employees or self-employed individuals, and that this is an "Industrial Age idea." And according to Kiyosaki, in order to obtain financial freedom, one must be either a business owner or an investor, generating passive income.

Kiyosaki speaks often of what he calls "The Cashflow Quadrant," a conceptual tool that aims to describe how all the money in the world is earned. Depicted in a diagram, this concept entails four groupings, split with two lines (one vertical and one horizontal). In each of the four groups there is a letter representing a way in which an individual may earn income. The letters are as follows.

E: Employee ďż˝ Working for someone else.
S: Self-employed or Small business owner ďż˝ Where a person owns his own job and is his own boss.
B: (Boss) Business owner ďż˝ Where a person owns a "system" of making money, rather than a job to make money.
I: Investor ďż˝ Spending money in order to receive a larger payout in.

I have read three Kiyosaki�s books but I don�t really learn anything new but maybe is only me. I have read that a lot of companies are growing aplying their lessons and tips.

But It�s Robert an expert or a fraud?

I have read three Kiyosaki´s books but I don´t really learn anything new but maybe is only me. I have read that a lot of companies are growing aplying their lessons and tips.

But It´s Robert an expert or a fraud?

Robert Kyosaki can only be taken at face value with his words. Think about the "teachings" and the points that he stresses. I've only read Rich Dad, Poor Dad but it was enough for me to figure out how it makes sense. If anything, I took this message from it: in order to make money, you have to take risks.

Take his points about creating a cash flow utilizing your current assets. In order to become rich, you have to take risks and invest your money... not just in stocks and mutual funds, but in other fields that can yield a return on investment. There are many ways to make money, but you have to figure out what your financial goals are and how to attain them. Right now, I'm trying my hand at a steady growth of income with mutual funds. (Look at how that turned out.) But even with the recent decline in stock potential, it shouldn't scare anyone away. I took a risk when I threw money into four separate mutual funds. They did grow, but I didn't pay attention to the market when things started to tank, so I lost money when everything crashed. However, this would be a decent time to invest, since the market is recovering and stabilizing (back upwards since September 2008). If you're smart about it, you can make a steady, gradual climb in a return on investment (ROI) with mutual funds.

You could also do it with stocks, but again, you take more risk. The more you invest, the more you earn OR lose. You also have to pay attention to what the market is calling for, what your companies are doing, and how it may affect the future outcome of share value. Just because everyone is bailing out doesn't mean that the company doesn't have a card up its sleeve. By the time you hear about a company's success, it's usually too late to reap in the rewards of consistency and persistence in investing... so stick to your guns and/or invest smartly.

Robert Kiyosaki uses as an example the wonders of real estate. It's a tremendous risk to purchase a piece of property in hopes of being able to buy it, "flip" a house and sell it or rent it out. It's also about the luck of the draw and paying attention to the housing market, because you can do a land and property grab for a steal that no one paid attention to, or lose out because you bought at the time that the housing market was at a peak. In order for you to do this sort of thing you have to take a huge amount of risk in getting a loan approved, purchasing a piece of property, and making the decision to either destroy it and build something of more value, remodel or refurnish the current property to raise its value, and then either sell the property for much more than you paid for it or rent it to tenants that you can trust not to destroy it from the inside. Rent is a great cash influx, but it might not be worth it if it doesn't offset your costs in maintaining the property, fixing damages, etc.

He also takes into account the risk of starting a business. This is the hardest part for us non-creative, non-outside-thinking folk because you have to come up with something that will draw an audience and sustain your existence. Think about how each large, successful company started its roots. Some started with an idea for a brand new product or invention. Others took a current product and put a spin on it. A lot of risk goes into a business because you have to take the road that no one has traveled and hope that what you do brings in a following that will bolster your success in the long run. Look at fashion and apparel with The Gap, Abercrombie and Fitch, Levis, etc. They took a step in another direction and now those companies are raking in profits for being "fashionable" and the current trend, in which they have to maintain by coming up with new trends, ideas, etc. Their names have been established, so it's purely maintenance and the occasional new thing from there.

Robert Kiyosaki's advice isn't for everyone because not everyone can be hugely successful as he has been. Not every entrepreneur makes it to the big shots because there's a lot of work, effort, capital, and even a splash of luck here and there involved. Who knew that Google, a simple search engine start-up, would be this huge now? How did they stay competitive and then rise up against then-giants like Yahoo, Lycos (Infoseek), and all the others that we've already forgotten? Most of us have already jumped on to the path that Kiyosaki preaches on avoiding: thinking like everyone else. You want to start something that pays you first, then everyone else. You want that something to be something that drives college graduates to work for you because what you thought up was legendary or awe-inspiring. You want to be that guy that sits back and plays management while everyone else assists in keeping you top dog in your field.

But not everyone can follow the advice given AND be as "successful."

A fourth-generation Japanese American, Kiyosaki was born and raised in Hawaii . He is the son of the late educator Ralph H. Kiyosaki (1919-1991). After graduating from Hilo High School, he attended the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in New York, graduating with the class of 1969 as a deck officer. He later served in the Marine Corps as a helicopter gunship pilot during the Vietnam War, where he was awarded the Air Medal. Kiyosaki left the Marine Corps in 1974 and got a job selling copy machines for the Xerox Corporation. In 1977, Kiyosaki started a company that brought to market the first nylon and Velcro "surfer" wallets. The company was moderately successful at first but eventually went bankrupt. In the early 1980s, Kiyosaki started a business that licensed T-shirts for Heavy metal rock bands.[2][dead link] Around 1996–1997 he launched Cashflow Technologies, Inc. which operates and owns the Rich Dad (and Cashflow) brand.

He is married to Kim Kiyosaki and has one sister, Emi Kiyosaki, who is a Tibetan Buddhist nun and known by the name Ven. Tenzin Kacho.