xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Has Anyone Tried Using Opensolaris?

I'm always interested in knowing about new OSes, especially when they pose as a rival to Windows! :) I've been using Linux since a year and although I can't afford to try the Mac, I know it's pretty cool too. Another one I've been hearing about a lot is the OpenSolaris OS from Sun Microsystems. I managed to get a Live CD and tried it out once. Since it uses GNOME, the desktop is similar to that of Ubuntu and other Linux distributions, but I think the changes are in the interior. But I don't have the expertise to test out these things. Does anyone here use OpenSolaris on a regular basis? I'm not looking for a list of its features; I'm looking for some reviews by regular users. Please share your experience here.

I have used opensolaris before and I will give you an honest opinion. Opensolaris was a breeze to install as it mimicked the Ubuntu installer. I found that it was very responsive and because of the GNOME interface it was the same design as ubuntu. I can confirm what you said which is that the main changes are in the core which is a slightly different platform.Opensolaris also installed on a PC that refused to install Linux which was a bonus for me however it didn't last on that PC for very long because I didn't have the patience to find and install all the missing drivers. However I did have success with it on my laptop and I found that I really liked it and still do use when not on my Mac.Opensolaris uses a Unix kernel which is like the kernel Mac OS X uses.It's up to you weather you want to try it or not. If you do install and have any questions ask me and I will try to help you.