xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Interesting Historical Map Of M.e. Empires Who has controlled the Middle East over the course of history?

Not sure where to post this, but it's a cool map I enjoyed watching for the entire 90 seconds lol. It shows who controlled the Middle Easter over the course of history and it's pretty interesting to have a quick animated run down of this stuff if you are into history at all.

http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/imperial-history.html

There are a few other maps..but that one was my favourite one.

Any thoughts on the map or Middle Eastern history related to it? I think it's quite amazing how many different empires dominated such large areas over the years.

This was really interesting. Thanks for posting it!It's amazing how many different empires have controlled that area over time isn't it? Think of all the battles and wars that were fought to gain that control. Now think of how that melting pot of civilizations has evolved into what are today the various states, countries and religions involved in the ongoing turmoil in the middle east. I think it would be interesting to see the History of Religion map overlaid on the Imperial History of the Middle East map.

lol the Crusaders were supposed to "take back the holy land" from the arabs, and sent thousands of knights and more than a handful kings... and they only took a small piece of land, which was then reclaimed by the arabs anyway... worst decision ever.

I think it's pretty interesting how little that map shows European (particularly British) intervention in the area. The British were responsible for the foundation of Afghanistan, and have fought numerous wars there since, as well as across the rest of the Middle East. Fair play for them showing how sneaky Israel have been since the UN agreed boundaries of 1948.