xisto Community
Fractured.Logic

Topic Linking Error

I had decided to go ahead and flesh out my most recent poetry submission with some links to better-explain some of the less-known words & references (to Wikipedia and to Dictionary.com)

For the first few sections, everything was fine, and I was able to preview the content as I periodically checked to make sure my coding and links were accurate and valid. After... about an hour?... I clicked the preview button to receive this error:

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to

I had used no urls except the two listed above (with the appropriate address changes for each target word or phrase), and I had had both return a preview, beforehand, with no problem. Then, suddenly and with seemingly no reason, this happened.

I first deleted the wikipedia URLs. This did not help. Then I removed the URL for the last word I had referenced, which was "massacre," thinking that it had generated a censorship error. This did not help, either. Then, I edited out the URLs for the entire current section I had been working on. This did not help, either.

Then I cut the entire section except for one word (the first word of my poem), which was referenced to the dictionary URL. It pulled up a preview.

So I re-pasted the rest of the text, with only links to the dictionary URL (and I double checked this with the find feature). I received the error again, instead of a preview.

And now, when I have tried previewing this help topic, I am at least able to preview the content, but I get the same error. Why would the Trap have any issue with either of these very common and popular reference sites? Have I missed something terribly important here?

Please help me understand what is going on, thank you.

I think the error is slightly misleading, and should probably be telling you that you are limited on the number of links you can put in a post. It sound's like you've been putting a lot of links in that post, and that has triggered the limit. The limit exists to stop spammers making posts that just contain thousands of links. The solution is just to reduce the number of links in the post unfortunately.

Edit: Well, I've tried and I don't seem able to hit the limit (after 500 links I got bored of adding more and assumed you wouldn't have reached 500 anyway...) so either it doesn't exist and we have some other problem, or it is disabled for moderators.

Well, I hadn't included that many links (I had thought, at any rate), but then I have a rather extensive vocabulary. The poem is rather long, too... so your speculation may still be accurate. I don't want to flood my own topic with unnecessary posts (if I divided the poem into sections to link that way), so I will have to consider how to better approach this.Your reasoning makes sense... and I would be greatly disturbed if people could take the alternative aspect of what I was trying to do and flood people with spam sites and other scams.Just thinking about the possibility of that makes me spasm involuntarily. :(