xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rnichilo

Defiance Very Good Movie

Defiance

Posted Image

As we learn from a lengthy piece by Zwick in the Christmas Eve edition of The New York Times, the Bielskis were distant relatives who, from 1941-43, sheltered more than a thousand Jews from the Nazis in the forests of Belarus. ?Directing a film inevitably becomes personal for me,? says Zwick, illuminating at least part of the problem. ?This one, though, felt as if some private boundary were breached.? The goal of commemoration may be understandable, but it rarely plays well with others, and here it strangles every attempt by star or script to stray from legend polishing. So when Morally Conflicted Brother Tuvia (a goyish Daniel Craig) kills a rebellious Jew who?s trying to overthrow his leadership, or allows his flock to vent its rage on a sacrificial German soldier, God forbid he should be allowed a flicker of satisfaction. Instead, he?s so tortured that he does everything except gnaw off his knuckles.

-Just watched the film, and it is very intense, really great true story, these guys were basically real life super heroes!

definitely worth a watch, i would recommend it for sure.

Now that's nice of you to recommend a movie for us.We are at a loss as to which movie to watch, but then all people do not like the movie another may like. So give some hints as to what type of movie it is and what to expect from the movie.Is it for a family or with spouse or with girl friend and above all is there any thing that we need to learn from the movie.These days movies are released as if just selling hot dogs and are virtually the same.

Well, probably not a 'watch with the family' movie, just because its about ww2. But it is basically an action/drama/historical/war film. There is a lot to be learned from the movie, if you haven't learned about the horrible things that happened during ww2 already. The film tells the TRUE story of the Jewish people who left German cities and went to the forest. They started a commune in the forest and eventually an army! Don't wanna spoil any more of the plot!

Comment on IMDB

No doubt that "Defiance" is a very inspiring movie. Set during the winter of 1941-42, just after Nazi Germany has attacked the Soviet Union, the movie follows the exploits of the 3 Bielski brothers, who watched their father be murdered by German troops and escape into the forest, only to end up becoming a rallying point and leaders for other displaced Jews. The movie portrays rivalries among the brothers themselves, rivalries within the group of Jews they're leading, difficulties in dealing with the Soviet troops, who should be their allies, as well as the hardships of dealing with hunger, cold and illness. Ultimately it leads to a pretty good climactic fight against Nazi troops. Yet, for all that I can't say it's great.

I've seen better and more inspiring Holocaust-inspired movies: think "Schindler's List," "The Grey Zone," and even the fictional "Jakob the Liar." Although the last half hour or so, leading up to the confrontation with the Germans, was quite good, I thought the movie was inconsistent up to that point. It lacked flow, and failed completely to draw me in tightly to the story. If it's at all accurate (and I'm not at all familiar with the events on which it's supposed to be based) then it certainly is a story that deserves to be told, but in truth I can't give it higher than a 6/10.

Awards and nominations

On January 22, 2009, the film was nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Original Score. It also was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score for 2008.

This hint can help you, to watch this film. I will download this film and start watching. I hope this film is good.

Edited by Space Master (see edit history)

i watched it with my budy and i must say it was pretty intense! Even tho the people that were watching it were old smurfs that kept shushing us for being to loud. I guess its what to expect when you go to a WWii movie, you cant have fun