xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fractured.Logic

Creating My Own, Legitimate Online (commission?) Business pondering realistic opportunities, options, obstacles, marketing, etc.

In the past, I have exchanged artistic and literary commission requests for favors or alternative "payment" (never real money). But now, especially with current economic limitations all over the world, I am trying to find other ways to support my daughter. I want to create a scenario where her future is entirely secure and stable, and I would be supporting her completely with no assistance from friend, family, state, or otherwise.Every "real job" that I have applied for thusfar leads me full-circle to the same position in which I started, scraping by on state assistance and depending on my extended family far more than I conscientiously feel I have the right to. They never complain, but I was raised to take pride in being self-sufficient.Everyone tells me that I have a wealth of artistic and literary talent, and I am slowly learning to agree without feeling like I am being boastful. So I want to try and turn that into a real, honest job, with a real, dependable income. I'm scared to tread water in a "place" (the Internet, in general), with so many scams, but it would be a life dream to create a stable scenario doing what I truly love to do instead of tolerating the same endless drone-work that so many others invest their lives in.

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

Just talking to you in the Shoutbox reveals that you have a wealth of talent that seems to sit idly, waiting to be exploited. I think that you can go far in offering your services for monetary gain, but the obstacle that I see is being able to present yourself as you are to an applicable audience, which is probably the hardest thing for anyone to do with the vast amounts of like-minded people who are also trying to make a buck.I don't have information regarding any commercial ventures or the fine print or any business practices that you have to be aware of, but I may later in the future when I myself will go out and try something to bring some extra revenue. I think that at the very beginning of a business venture, you have to establish a foundation, to include but not limit to what you can offer the world and who you are willing to offer it to. This also means that you need to establish a reputation, which I can safely say that the word-of-mouth methodology works wonders. If you've been doing this for a while in exchange for favors and whatnot, I would ask your previous clientele to see if they can spread the word about your talents and your abilities after you explain to them that you would like to start a business and to keep you in mind for their multimedia needs and for the needs of anyone else they may know that would require such things. With that, you can let word-of-mouth work by itself for you, while you advertise in other ways, like making the proactive venture of introducing yourself to people that are looking for something they need done for their small company, their private projects, etc.Once you have an establishment and start to receive "orders" and demand for what you can offer, then I would look more closely into the commercial aspect of things, like licensing, copyrights, and whatever else you can think of. I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge out on the Internet, and for guidance, ask your friends or fellow entrepreneurs, or even request guidance from anyone that you might think could give you a valuable response. Things like allowing others to use your work while retaining the rights to those works, royalties, etc. will become very important once you start becoming more of an entity in the business world. I think the best way to really do this is to start a "small business" and to keep it small, offering your stuff with a focus on who you know, network with, and who they know that they can refer to you. From there, you can do whatever you want.The most despairing part about all of this will be the initial lack of requests, or the turn-downs, or the negative outcomes... but it takes a lot of work and effort to establish a foothold to prove that your work is really worth something and that you are a shining star in the masses that people can actually utilize. You need to put yourself out there and make yourself seem exploitable with competitive pricing, aggression as well as compassion, and all that jazz. I know it's a hard road going uphill, but once you start making those steps upward, I think you'll be satisfied with where you're going.

Rayzor, you are the best :PUnfortunately, a lot of my "network" that I may have established in the past are people that I am no longer in contact with (and haven't been in contact with for years). So I am, essentially, starting from scratch. Nonetheless, I have a wonderful friend I've made in my area that has amazing marketing skills and experience. So I've seriously considered collaborating with her (writing reports that she, in turn, could sell, etc). But I would also like to offer my abilities as a traditional/graphic artist, as well as have an opportunity to use my skills with HTML/CSS (and learn more advanced languages). I am also a very skilled writer (excellent grammar, vocabulary, spelling), and have often dreamed of becoming a novelist/published poet.I've also been told by many people that I could easily create designs for tattoo artists (I'm very skilled with advanced celtic knot-like designs, for example). I don't have the ability to make those big prints, though... so I'm not sure how to advertise myself in that regard, were I to pursue such an avenue.My first step is to decide which package I want to buy, and whether I want to save up for a long-term plan or a monthly plan. Then I want to create an online portfolio, of sorts - not sure if I want to focus on art, writing, or both. Then I want to look into options of turning that portfolio into a serious business. Does that sound realistic?I have no experience with copyrighting, but I am trying to learn more about it (for the sake of protecting the integrity of my work now that I am seriously looking into the monetary benefits).And I'm painfully optimistic (much to the bafflement of others), so I don't expect any negativity to stumble me much, if at all. B)

I've let this topic sit by idly for a while, now. I had really been hoping for some more input with specific answers to some of the questions I listed previously. Most especially, I would love to hear some real-world input from people who have operated (or still do operate) a business in a similar field of experience.

When you reply, if you would be so kind... please answer any of the following questions which apply to your particular situation:

1. What hangups did you (do you) encounter?

1. ( a ) Did you encounter these hangups on a daily, weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, semi-annual, or annual basis?

1. ( b ) In looking back, how do you think you might have cut back on the problems you experienced?

2. What do you wish you would have done differently, had you known better?

3. Does running an online business require any registry or licenses (like a physical business would)?

4. What sort of copyright issues have you encountered, and have you ever had to deal with your work being stolen?

4. ( a ) If so, how were you able to resolve that?

5. Do you have any marketing advice for insuring a long-term income?

6. Do you have any other advice, personal or business-related?

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

I've let this topic sit by idly for a while, now. I had really been hoping for some more input with specific answers to some of the questions I listed previously. Most especially, I would love to hear some real-world input from people who have operated (or still do operate) a business in a similar field of experience.

When you reply, if you would be so kind... please answer any of the following questions which apply to your particular situation:

1. What hangups did you (do you) encounter?

1. ( a ) Did you encounter these hangups on a daily, weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, semi-annual, or annual basis?

1. ( b ) In looking back, how do you think you might have cut back on the problems you experienced?

2. What do you wish you would have done differently, had you known better?

3. Does running an online business require any registry or licenses (like a physical business would)?

4. What sort of copyright issues have you encountered, and have you ever had to deal with your work being stolen?

4. ( a ) If so, how were you able to resolve that?

5. Do you have any marketing advice for insuring a long-term income?

6. Do you have any other advice, personal or business-related?

In my opinion from what I've read you seem to have a great potential to earn some good money over the internet. If you know how to do it you can easilly earn substantial funds from freelancing. So you said that you have a good knowledge in CSS and HTML which is a great plus because you can try your chances on webdesign. Also you seem to be a very talented person when it comes to design and art things so you could create great web pages as well as print design. At the same time you can start a blog talk about the subjects you like and you are good at. With a decent traffic you can easily get up to 400$ and more per month. If  you need help one this and want to learn more please pm me :lol:!