xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rayzoredge

It's Going To Annoy Me When Someone Posts In This Thread... ... years from now.

Granted, we have new people that are introduced to Xisto every day. Granted, some of those people don't read the rules right away (*raises hand*). But if you're here, swayed with the incentive of earning credits for free hosting, you probably have been on the Internet before, which probably means that you've been on a forum before. Do I dare mention that IF you actually paid attention to how Xisto rewards you with credit for free hosting, you wouldn't be doing what I'm very annoyed with?

Who cares about rayzoredge or his pissy rant? Why should we even bother to acknowledge this rant? What the heck is his problem, anyway?

The problem here lies in the quality of the forum contents and the members who contribute. I don't know about you, but I hate one-liners that don't contribute anything to a thread. (If it's an intended sarcastic remark or a playful jab that people can find humorous, that's different.) Yes, you are allowed to keep it simple, short, and sweet, but why post something that has no reading worthiness whatsoever? You turn out looking like an idiot and/or immature and/or completely ignorant of the thread's contents, and although I don't expect every member to read the entirety of an 18+ page thread, I do expect members to actually read what the thread is about, and maybe its entirety if the thread hasn't even surpassed the 1-page mark. How hard is it to read? I know we all have ADD and everything, but c'mon! If a thread has enough posts that you honestly apply the TL;DR concept (too long; didn't read), then I think you should not even bother to post, since what you're going to post will be either squabble that contributes nothing to the topic and fill up the forum with garbage posting, or it will be unintelligible, irrelevant, and/or not worth reading and still fill up the forum with garbage posting.

And if you're here for the free hosting, you're an idiot or ignorant of how earning credit works here if you're posting one-liners. I've repeated myself, and I'm sure many other members have repeated themselves, that quality > quantity. Quality posts include well-thought arguments for or against the original poster (OP), an actual detailed sharing of experience, or a good tidbit of information that people will find USEFUL. Sure, you can make 100 one-liner posts and earn the same amount as a single post that clearly informs, entertains, and/or is relevant to the subject at hand, but you look like an idiot doing it and contribute nothing to Xisto or any other forums that you happen to participate with.

So, rayzoredge, instead of complaining about this crap, why don't you let us know what we can do to please you and every other whiner on this forum?

Sure thing, Anonymous!

If you're a new member to this forum, do yourself a favor and at least skim the rules. Understand how the myCent concept works. Realize that quality posting DOES matter here (as opposed to other forums). If you want free web hosting, you're going to have to actually think before you post instead of throwing out some drivel. Drivel earns you a negligible amount of myCents and makes you look stupid, which, if you think about it, makes your opinion not matter when it matters. (As much as I'm an advocate for not caring what other people think, the reality of the matter is that it does apply positively when networking.) Only participate in threads that you have an interest in or that you can contribute to. If someone is asking for help in a thread, CHECK THE TIMESTAMPS before replying. A member who asks about advice on buying a computer probably isn't going to find it useful that you responded to his or her thread three years later, and with the nature of technology, no one's going to care that you can recommend an AGP video card that would completely blow SoAndSo's PCI card out of the water, or even say that NVIDIA rules because ATI sucks. Which brings me to my next tip...

If you're putting out an opinion or helping to educate the masses with your wealth of knowledge, don't just stop at "XXX product sucks!" Tell us WHY it sucks and what the alternative actually offers. Give us numbers, features, likes, dislikes, the trend of the market, the real deal, your personal review and opinion, and your experiences. I will be pissed if someone tells me that I suck. I won't be very upset if you could explain why I suck. And I think that I would see your post as positive if you could tell me that I suck, why I suck, and HOW I can not suck. Get what I'm saying?

If you are starting a topic, don't start a spam topic... start a DISCUSSION. Don't just throw out a poll like "What do you like better, apples or oranges?" and expect great conversation. Start out your post with something more like "What do you like better, apples or oranges? WHY?" That magic word will give you a thread that's much more captivating than a thread full of responses like "apples," "oranges," "who cares... pears rule because everything else drools."

That's what I've got. Throw in your own thoughts... do you agree with me? Does this drive you nuts too? Do you think that Xisto should have a mandatory summary of rules and a brief explanation of how the myCents concept works before newbies are set loose on the forum to drive me (and anyone else) crazy with "stupid" posts?

Note: I already have people that I regard with the greatest respect and then there are those that I don't care for solely because of their posting... but that doesn't mean that I'm going to go and point fingers. Please refrain from pointing anyone out in here unless it's me. I always welcome constructive criticism or outward finger-pointing of hypocrisy (because I am a hypocrite at times, I'm sure), in which case I will crawl into my virtual corner, sob a bit, then come back stronger because I will then be in the know. :P

Edit: Go figure. I spout out with quality posting and I missed some typos. Or is it typoes? Firefox says the former. B)

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

I thought somebody would post about this and you did it. I understand rayzoredge, how annoyed one would be when they open Xisto forums and find lots of spam posts around. I have been a regular visitor of Xisto, I mostly spend time reading threads than posting. Two years ago I was attracted to this forum for the webhosting features it offered and a great forum it had. Now I feel, although the hosting features has got much more better, but the quality of the forums is slightly degrading. Anyway, that's just my thought.

This tip might help your browsing experience here. Just ignore the user you think is posting lots of unwanted or spam posts. You can do that by going to the respective member's profile, there in "Options" drop down click "Ignore User". Thats it.

I thought somebody would post about this and you did it. I understand rayzoredge, how annoyed one would be when they open Xisto forums and find lots of spam posts around. I have been a regular visitor of Xisto, I mostly spend time reading threads than posting. Two years ago I was attracted to this forum for the webhosting features it offered and a great forum it had. Now I feel, although the hosting features has got much more better, but the quality of the forums is slightly degrading. Anyway, that's just my thought.

This tip might help your browsing experience here. Just ignore the user you think is posting lots of unwanted or spam posts. You can do that by going to the respective member's profile, there in "Options" drop down click "Ignore User". Thats it.

I didn't know about the literal "Ignore User" feature of Xisto. Thanks for pointing that out.

However, in this thread, jlhaslip makes a good point here:

Having said that, yes, Ash has been noticed and although not exactly Spam by definition, many of their posts are 'light-weight' for sure, and it would be good to have them improve their posting. No doubt. On the other hand, some of our best members started out that way and the Moderation Team has been able to swing them around and shaped their direction by verbal or PM warnings only. Such is the case here. As you might also notice, the member's posting IS improving, but still has a ways to go. They are working on it, so let's be patient to see what will become of it.

I probably would benefit mostly from blocking a user and completely throwing all of his posts out the window. However, with jlhaslip's point, what if Ash-Bash (in this case) actually posts something interesting or useful, or even a suggestion that changes the way I think about something? (I'm not saying he will, but I'm not saying he won't either.) And, since I'm a normal Internet person and after clicking Ignore User that one time, who's to say I even keep tabs to see if Ash-Bash has improved? And if he has, I would be missing out on insight on a subject topic from another perspective... something I come to Xisto for in the first place.

It's really a stupid argument, but I'm just pointing out the possibilities and the merit of jlhaslip's post. Maybe Ash-Bash can be the next SM. Maybe not. :P