xisto Community
curtis07

Search Form Breaks My Valid Page On Ie Another reason to hate IE....

Doesn't every web designer hate IE?! It's the bane of every web coder's life. All I'm trying to do is make a theme for my Wordpress site, and when I try to add in a nice searchbar at the top, it works wonderfully in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. and is even completely valid on W3C. However, it breaks my top links in Internet Explorer.

My site is not finished, so don't expect any content on many pages. If you want to see how the text may fit, you can go to the "about" page of it and I put a few paragraphs in it. I'm not nearly done, so don't expect much.

Oh, yeah, I suppose I should provide a link... archpenguin.com

Here's the code that breaks IE (or rather, what IE breaks):

<td rowspan="2" style="background-image: url('http://archpenguin.com/img/archpenguin2_r3_c8.gif'); background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 248px; margin: 0 0 0 0; padding: 0 0 0 0; vertical-align: top;" align="center" valign="top">	<form method="get" action="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>/">	 <div align="center" style="padding-top: 6px; margin-top: 0px;"><input type="text" style="padding: 0 0 0 0; margin: 0 0 0 0; width: 170px; height: 16px; display: block; text-align: center; font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial; font-size: 160%;" name="s" value="Search" onfocus="if(this.value==this.defaultValue)this.value='';" onblur="if(this.value=='')this.value=this.defaultValue;" />	</div></form>   </td>

I will clean up my code and make it more organized later (yes, I use separate stylesheets when I'm done), but you can get the gist of it.

I've tried using different padding, margins, wrapping things in divs, wrapping things in spans, getting rid of any wrappings, and it all turns out the same--IE doesn't work. IE 6 and 7 look the same. They both suck!

I've been experimenting in IE hacks (PHP, CSS, and HTML hacks), but I still haven't found anything that works. I wouldn't mind having some sort of hack that disables the search form in IE and instead leaves a link to the search page, or a link to download any browser other than IE. Does anybody have a good idea? Just say "screw IE" and make a valid page that works in everything else and forget about IE?

When you say that IE 'breaks' the page, or the Search input, what exactly does it do (or not do)?Sorry, but I don't have IE6 or IE7 to check the page with.

When you say that IE 'breaks' the page, or the Search input, what exactly does it do (or not do)?Sorry, but I don't have IE6 or IE7 to check the page with.

Well, it screws up my table. It also leaves errors on the page. I've validated it with W3C and such, but it just doesn't like to work in IE.

However, the whole point is rather moot now, as I have decided to go with MyBB rather than Wordpress. I got what I wanted in less time. Thanks anyway.