xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nyy26

Mets News mets news

Oliver Perez was absolutely terrible yesterday, I guess that was the ?bad Ollie? that showed up. You don?t know how badly I hate the term ?good Ollie? and ?bad Ollie?. Obviously the second guessing has begun with Mets fans complaining about how they paid this guy that big contract but didn?t sign Derek Lowe. I heard the broadcasters say he was something like 215 pounds. That?s overweight. The fact remains that Oliver Perez has a lot of talent, he?s just a head case, and I?m beginning to wonder if he?ll ever live up to his potential. But before met fans start getting on him, you have to remember that it was one start, if he continues to pitch terribly for the Mets, then I can see them making a deal for a starting pitcher, especially with the question mark of Livan Hernandez. I know they?ve got some arms down in the minors, but I don?t think that will cut it. I could see the Mets making a play for Jake Peavy or Roy Halladay. Peavy is a tricky situation, he will certainly be available and is regarded by some as one of the best pitchers in the league, so he would definitely command a premium package of prospects. That package would most likely include Fernando Martinez, who has fallen off the map a little bit as the Mets top prospect. However, buyer beware with Peavy, he pitches in one of the most pitcher friendly ballparks in the league, his ERA is around 1.00 higher when he?s not pitching there. That could be a case of a pitcher pitching better in his home stadium, or a product of the park. Roy Halladay is considered by some, including myself as the best pitcher in the league. That?s right, he?s better than Johan Santana. Halladay finishes games and is an absolute wiz on the mound. He will definitely be available at the trade deadline because the Toronto Blue Jays are trying to cut payroll for next year. If Halladay will be traded, the Mets need to jump on that fast. There is absolutely no chance that the Blue Jays will trade Halladay to the Yankees but I still think the Yankees should do anything possible to try and obtain this guy. He is the best pitcher in the league. Kevin Millwood will most likely be available unless the Rangers are making a playoff push, which very well could happen. Millwood had a solid start in the season opener against the Indians. He is a consistent pitcher who the Mets should defiantly take a look at. He would command less of a package than any of the other big names that will be available. Roy Oswalt could be available as well. This guy might be past his prime, but is still a great pitcher, he would command less of a package than Peavy and Halladay, and could be a viable option for many teams.Big Mike Pelfrey didn?t fare to well in his first start of the season either. He got the victory, but allowed four runs on five hits and four walks, while only striking out two over five innings pitched. The bullpen didn?t help out to much allowing three runs on four hits and five walks in four innings. However, Frankie Rodriguez picked up his second save in that game.I was somewhat surprised when the Mets signed Gary Sheffield, but the move did make sense. Sheffield has almost nothing left in the tank but could provide the Mets with some quality games. However, Sheffield does have a big mouth and it can get him into trouble sometimes. A few years ago he called Joe Torre a racist. That is an absurd comment, and a terrible thing to call someone. It seemed like the whole league was against Sheffield for that comment and he started to feel the pressure and told them to go ask Kenny Lofton, who shot Sheffield down. He even when on to say when he was asked what about Derek Jeter that Jeter doesn?t count because he?s only half black. Bottom line is the guy is a scumbag and a steroid user and doesn?t respect the game. I remember one time back in Milwaukie I think it was, a game went into extra innings, Sheffield was playing third base at the time. It was hot and Sheffield was tired so he purposely through the ball over the first baseman?s head, allowing the winning run to score. I don?t remember how it came out that he did it on purpose, but the fact is that he did. I would never take that looser on the Yankees ever again. I never really like him when he was on the Yankees either, Joe Torre had to go out of his way to try and fit Sheffield into the lineup back in 2006 after he returned from injury. This was at the point where the Yankees were starting to click, they plugged him in at first base during the ALDS against the Tigers and it looked like the guy wasn?t even trying. The guy was a former infielder and he played a terrible first base, like he?s never played the infield before. He definitely wasn?t trying. If Sheffield has a slow start people will be saying it?s because he is pressing for his 500th homerun. It?s interesting that the Tigers released him one homer short of 500, they must have really not liked him.Billy Wagner?s hitting the rehab trail hard, and reports are saying that he could be back late July or early August. That?s good news for the Mets, but I don?t think he will be pitching in a Mets uniform again. That is because I don?t think he will be able to bounce back that quickly. A bullpen with Rodriguez, Putz, and Wagner would be a pipe dream but it?s possible that he is traded once he is back from injury to a team that needs a closer or set up guy. Hey, if he went to the Yankees to set up, would they play Enter Sandman? Anyway, that?s one Yankee?s fan opinion on the Met?s situation.

Mike Pelfey will miss his next start because of tendinitis. That’s not good news for the Mets as they are depending on Pelfrey this season. The Mets success will follow with the success of the pitching staff, and without Mike Pelfrey, there isn’t much depth. Jon Niese, Dillon Gee and Nelson Figueroa are likely candidate sot replace him until he is back.Reportedly Pedro Martinez received interest from several teams in the last 10 days. There’s no evidence that says the Mets were involved.Oliver Perez had a good start the other day; I believe he only gave up three hits. That’s good, but now he needs to be consistent. He needs to shake this Good Ollie bad Ollie nonsense, its put up or shut up for Perez, especially after he got that big deal last winter.

Edited by nyy26 (see edit history)