xisto Community
Benjamin385

License Tranfer Policy On Windows Vista And How Would I Transfer It To Another Pc? I bought an Used copy on Ebay :(

Ok, So i am Building an Computer for gaming purposes.But I bid on an Operating system that is used... Did not really look at the auction.Right now i am just trying to Prepare for the Worst in case the CD key does not work.I do not Believe that it is OEM. It comes in an Standard Retail Case like you see at stores.But anyway would there be anyway to transfer Vista Home Premium to My new computer that I am Building??? Please note I am not sure if this is an OEM copy.and What would i need to transfer the copy of vista to my new PC? (Receipt, Call Microsoft, etc.)

A retail copy of Vista can only be transferred to a new PC once, and generally only by the original purchaser. An OEM copy cannot be transferred at all. Also, you won't be able to activate the copy over the Internet. You'll need to phone Microsoft, who will check the first PC has had that copy of Vista uninstalled before activating in on your PC.

The restrictions on Vista transfer of ownership are for buying and selling the software, and are not technical constraints. Vista retail CAN be bought and sold legally, provided that the seller uninstalls it completely before selling it. This point was clarified by MS in their license back in 2006 - http://arstechnica.com/business/2006/11/8140/ . As rvalkass said, OEM licenses cannot be transferred between users. However, people have still successfully transferred OEM copies of Vista without problem.

Ownership transfers aside, it is still completely possible to use this copy of Vista on your computer. Simply install as normal. Activation will most likely fail over the internet, but call it in and you will interact with an automated system that will activate your computer for you.

NOTE: If the original user is still using Vista with the same key, this will invalidate the license key for you. The only way this would come up is if the seller gets on the internet after you've activated yours.

Regards,

z.

Edited by zakaluka (see edit history)