xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

Have You Gone Uphill By Train ? Yes, I had that oppurtunity

The experience which Im going to share now is one of the wonderful times which I had during my college life. Have you gone uphill?? In other words have you climbed a mountain? There are many people today who have climbed a mountain, how? Either by foot or if there was some good road facility they would have climbed on road by a car or a bus, But have you imagined climbing a mountain by train?? Is it really possible ? Yes it is possible, provided there is a mountain where rails are laid and where there is train running up and down the hill. Recently I visited a hill station by name Udagamandalam ( Ooty). This is a beautiful place in India in the state Tamil Nadu. This mountain is 2300 meters in height and it is well connected by roads. The fantastic part about this mountain is that it is also connected by train.So how is this possible ? In India there are 14 railway sectors working and one of which is known as the SR, Southern Railways. This Mountain Train is maintained by southern railway. Recently I had been in this train to Udagamandalam, and I just wanna share the wonderful experience which I had and which you can also have if you visit this place in future. The train was small , it had just 4 compartments and out of which 2 is for reserved and 2 is for unreserverd people. Since this (the time in which I went to Udagamandalam) is summer in India all tickets in this train is booked for another 60 days. So I along with my friends we had planned to go uphill in this train. The saddening part is that we don?t have a reserved ticket. So what to do ? All that can be done is try for an unreserved ticket, and we tried and we got it :) .So basically I wanna tell to the whole world if you wanna visit this place Udagamadalam ( Tamil Nadu, India) by the train which takes you uphill and if you don?t have a reserved ticket, how to get an unreserved one and get into the train? Out of real life experience I leant it. This train starts form a railway station by name metuppalayam ( Tamil Nadu, India) at 7:10 am. So if you have a reserved ticked you can step into the railway station a couple of minutes before the departure and can board the train, Now what if you don?t have a reserved ticked ? All you have to do is follow the method which I tell you and you are sure to get this train and enjoy the uphill journey in the train. So as I had mentioned before there are 4 compartments and 2 for reserved and 2 for unreserved. The train will take only people upto a specific number and not more than that. So for this unreserved compartment there is a separate queue which falls in right from 5:00 am and we were there at 2:00 am. So all you need to do is stand in this queue which is for unreserved/waitlisted passengers. If you don?t have even a waitlisted ticket , don?t go to the ticket counter immediately, you will not be provided with an unreserved ticket for this train which goes uphill. You have to contact the station manager, he comes there at 5:00 am and you just explain to him with some reason that you need the ticket. He will write a token and you have to produce that token to the ticket counter and he will then issue a ticket. So getting of this unreserved ticket can be easily avoided. All that has to be done is, on the previous day book a ticket (you will get a waitlisted ticket if the booking is full). With this waitlisted ticket also you can stay in that queue which is meant for unreserved/waitlisted people. Holt this waitlisted ticket stand in the queue from 5 in the morning to board the train, exactly 30 mins before the departure, railway police will come to the queue and allow one by one after checking whether they have a proper ticket to travel on that day, once you are sure that you are standing the front of the queue you can easily get in. The railway police will stop allowing people once the two unreserved compartments are full. So this is how we got the ticket and we stood in the queue and got into the train.This train is not an ordinary train which runs with the help of electricity or diesel engines. This train is pulled by an engine which uses the ancient technology, which is the steam engine. The steam engine is one of the ancient technologies which all the country used, but it has vanished today, still its running here in this mountain train. I had a wonderful time traveling uphill in the train. So just imagine how much excitement you can have going uphill by a train. This train did not take us directly to the top of the mountain. It stops at several places while climbing the mountain and we were allowed to get down and take photo snaps. Etc. So that added more thrill for the journey. Moreover I wanna mention that lots of foreign people also travels in this train, an interacting with them was really good. It took 5 hours to reach the mountain top. The train almost stopped more than 5 times while climbing. There were lots of tunnels in-between, and lots more to see and experience. The rails on which this train ran was completely different, almost all trains run on a track where there are 2 rails, here there was 3 , where 2 rails made the outer edge of the track and there was one in the middle ( which was like a pulley) .so during this journey you also learn some physics, something about the nature , meet people from different places and countries, above all entertainment guaranteed. There once we went to the top of the mountain you see a board saying that you are 2300 meters above mean sea level, wow after reading that my ears got blocked lol, and I had to drink water so that it was eased. And we had soo many places to see there in that mountain, went to the topmost peak, wet to tea gardens, lake, etc. It was really good. One thing I wanna mention, the train which I was mentioning , that was actually introduced by the British when they ruled India. The British had constructed all the tunnels, rails etc. and still you can find their boards in each tunnel which states when it was constructed etc.So people from India do visit this place and enjoy the train journey uphill, and people of the world, if you tour India don?t forget to have a ride in this train Uphill. This train facility which takes people uphill has also been recognized by UN , UNESCO or something im not very sure about that, and I read that they are finding for this train facility ,so because of that the journey is really cheap, I would say cheapest. The cost of the journey up hill ( 5 hrs ) is just , any guess ?? Its just Rs.8 ( INR) , Note: 1 USD=50 INR, so just think how cheat it is , and how much you can enjoy going uphill by a train,And I did along with my friends and enjoyed it, with the help of God?s protection we had a safe and a happy Journey.

yup.............i went to Darjeeling and Shimla by train or say toy train...............................it was not a good experience for me because i was then a small kid and was eating dirty snow hiding from everyone and then suddenly well ill for the whole trip.........Bad experience!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The getty museum is on top of a hill, so yeah, whenever I go there i have to take a tram/train up ( not for more than 10 minutes though lol.) It's pretty cool, yeah. Get to see the whole city from above.