xisto Community
Aeon

Msgbox Question.

Hey,
I was wondering that the appropriate syntax would be to have VB run an application when you hit 'okay' -- Meaning when you hit okay, it opens up notepad.exe or whatever.

My current code is

msgbox "Some message here", 0
I've tried adding Open="notepad.exe" on the next line, but it does not work.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-AE.
Edited by Aeon (see edit history)

It depends on what version of VB you're using. If your using VB.NET, use the line of code:Process.Start("Notepad.exe")That line of code, without giving the drive letter or folder information, will open a windows exe located in your system32 folder.To run a program other than a system32 application, use code similar to this:Process.Start("c:\folder\myapp.exe")These lines of code won't work if your using VB6.

It depends on what version of VB you're using. If your using VB.NET, use the line of code:
Process.Start("Notepad.exe")

That line of code, without giving the drive letter or folder information, will open a windows exe located in your system32 folder.
To run a program other than a system32 application, use code similar to this:

Process.Start("c:\folder\myapp.exe")

These lines of code won't work if your using VB6.

Thank you.

I am using VB6 though, so the code does not work. Would it be better to upgrade to .net?

Thank you.
I am using VB6 though, so the code does not work. Would it be better to upgrade to .net?

If you're using VB6, use this code instead.

Dim ReturnVal

ReturnVal = Shell("C:\WINDOWS\System32\notepad.exe", 1)

With VB6, you need the entire URL to the EXE even with system32 processes. I've forgotten some of my version 6 knowledge, but I do believe the 1 after the exe name is for when your handling multiple processes, you change the number incrementally. I may be wrong on that though.

If you're using VB6, use this code instead.

Dim ReturnVal

ReturnVal = Shell("C:\WINDOWS\System32\notepad.exe", 1)

With VB6, you need the entire URL to the EXE even with system32 processes. I've forgotten some of my version 6 knowledge, but I do believe the 1 after the exe name is for when your handling multiple processes, you change the number incrementally. I may be wrong on that though.

Hmm---

It's giving me an error with that code--

msgbox "Messagehere", 0Dim ReturnValReturnVal = Shell("C:\WINDOWS\System32\notepad.exe", 1)

Error Information:

Line 4

Char 1

Error: Type mismatch: 'Shell'

Code: 800A000D

Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error.

I should note that I'm coding this with notepad.

Are you using VB6 or VBScript? There is a difference.If your coding this in notepad, im assuming your using VBScript? In that case im not sure how to Shell an application =/ sorry.

I am not sure if this has been resolved yet or not. But for the sake of anyone searching the topic here is a resolution. This is VB Script.

Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")objShell.Run "%windir%\Notepad.exe"

If you are using the option explicit you have to add the line :

dim objShell

first to declare the variable.

Hope this helps someone.
Edited by darasen (see edit history)

retrieve msgbox textMsgbox Question.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to retrieve the text from a msgbox from another process?Is there a "Get" statement that I can use?

-reply by mark