xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jaychant

The Future Of Humanity: Travel

I imagine that sometime in the distant future, humanity will explore and colonize distant stars in this galaxy and perhaps even in other galaxies. There is a major obstacle when it comes to space travel: the distances are huge. It takes several years even for light to go from the closest stars to the Sun to the Sun. So, how will humanity accomplish this? The answer is time, or as I like to put it, the fourth dimension.

In our 3-dimensional universe, we have three dimensions: length, width, and depth. Then we have something else, which we call time. So what is time? To us, time is nothing more than the passage of events. But, if you think of time as a fourth dimension, time isn't just something linear. We are rather forced along this fourth dimension in a linear fashion, causing "time" to be linear. Therefore, long-distance travel will be accomplished by "folding" the fourth dimension, creating a shortcut from point A to point B, which effectively makes the trip much shorter.

Or, perhaps we will simply travel close to the speed of light. But, I think the 4th dimension will be used.

Any thoughts? Theories?

"I imagine that sometime in the distant future, humanity will explore and colonize distant stars in this galaxy and perhaps even in other galaxies. There is a major obstacle when it comes to space travel: the distances are huge. It takes several years even for light to go from the closest stars to the Sun to the Sun. So, how will humanity accomplish this? The answer is time, or as I like to put it, the fourth dimension.In our 3-dimensional universe, we have three dimensions: length, width, and depth. Then we have something else, which we call time. So what is time? To us, time is nothing more than the passage of events. But, if you think of time as a fourth dimension, time isn't just something linear. We are rather forced along this fourth dimension in a linear fashion, causing "time" to be linear. Therefore, long-distance travel will be accomplished by "folding" the fourth dimension, creating a shortcut from point A to point B, which effectively makes the trip much shorter.Or, perhaps we will simply travel close to the speed of light. But, I think the 4th dimension will be used.Any thoughts? Theories?"--That is all theoretical of course. Personally I think colonizing the moon and mars will come before stars. With current technology, we're not getting much farther than that. If you can figure out a way to successfully fold time via the fourth dimension, you alert us at Xisto immediately. Other than that, I really don't see much happening about it in the near (or even distant) future.I do believe technology will advance, and more things will be possible, but for now, eh.

Edited by cemeteryrecords (see edit history)

"I imagine that sometime in the distant future, humanity will explore and colonize distant stars in this galaxy and perhaps even in other galaxies. There is a major obstacle when it comes to space travel: the distances are huge. It takes several years even for light to go from the closest stars to the Sun to the Sun. So, how will humanity accomplish this? The answer is time, or as I like to put it, the fourth dimension.
In our 3-dimensional universe, we have three dimensions: length, width, and depth. Then we have something else, which we call time. So what is time? To us, time is nothing more than the passage of events. But, if you think of time as a fourth dimension, time isn't just something linear. We are rather forced along this fourth dimension in a linear fashion, causing "time" to be linear. Therefore, long-distance travel will be accomplished by "folding" the fourth dimension, creating a shortcut from point A to point B, which effectively makes the trip much shorter.

Or, perhaps we will simply travel close to the speed of light. But, I think the 4th dimension will be used.

Any thoughts? Theories?"

--That is all theoretical of course. Personally I think colonizing the moon and mars will come before stars. With current technology, we're not getting much farther than that. If you can figure out a way to successfully fold time via the fourth dimension, you alert us at Xisto immediately. Other than that, I really don't see much happening about it in the near (or even distant) future.
I do believe technology will advance, and more things will be possible, but for now, eh.

Well, I think if we evolved from bronze to modern (industrial?) technology in 2000 years, humanity should be able to get that technology in a few million years at least. This of course assumes that we don't nuke ourselves back into the stone age. :)

"I imagine that sometime in the distant future, humanity will explore and colonize distant stars in this galaxy and perhaps even in other galaxies. There is a major obstacle when it comes to space travel: the distances are huge. It takes several years even for light to go from the closest stars to the Sun to the Sun. So, how will humanity accomplish this? The answer is time, or as I like to put it, the fourth dimension.In our 3-dimensional universe, we have three dimensions: length, width, and depth. Then we have something else, which we call time. So what is time? To us, time is nothing more than the passage of events. But, if you think of time as a fourth dimension, time isn't just something linear. We are rather forced along this fourth dimension in a linear fashion, causing "time" to be linear. Therefore, long-distance travel will be accomplished by "folding" the fourth dimension, creating a shortcut from point A to point B, which effectively makes the trip much shorter.Or, perhaps we will simply travel close to the speed of light. But, I think the 4th dimension will be used.Any thoughts? Theories?"--That is all theoretical of course. Personally I think colonizing the moon and mars will come before stars. With current technology, we're not getting much farther than that. If you can figure out a way to successfully fold time via the fourth dimension, you alert us at Xisto immediately. Other than that, I really don't see much happening about it in the near (or even distant) future.I do believe technology will advance, and more things will be possible, but for now, eh.Well, I think if we evolved from bronze to modern (industrial?) technology in 2000 years, humanity should be able to get that technology in a few million years at least. This of course assumes that we don't nuke ourselves back into the stone age. tongue.gif---oh wow, i didnt know we we're looking millions of years into the future. We'll after agenda 21 and a single government rules the world, who know's what they'll allow in the space travel section? Looking millions of years into the future is uncomprehendable. It's like trying to imagine the world, when your still in the womb..

"I imagine that sometime in the distant future, humanity will explore and colonize distant stars in this galaxy and perhaps even in other galaxies. There is a major obstacle when it comes to space travel: the distances are huge. It takes several years even for light to go from the closest stars to the Sun to the Sun. So, how will humanity accomplish this? The answer is time, or as I like to put it, the fourth dimension.

Any thoughts? Theories?"

--That is all theoretical of course. Personally I think colonizing the moon and mars will come before stars. With current technology, we're not getting much farther than that. If you can figure out a way to successfully fold time via the fourth dimension, you alert us at Xisto immediately. Other than that, I really don't see much happening about it in the near (or even distant) future.
I do believe technology will advance, and more things will be possible, but for now, eh.

Well, I think if we evolved from bronze to modern (industrial?) technology in 2000 years, humanity should be able to get that technology in a few million years at least. This of course assumes that we don't nuke ourselves back into the stone age. tongue.gif

---oh wow, i didnt know we we're looking millions of years into the future. We'll after agenda 21 and a single government rules the world, who know's what they'll allow in the space travel section?

Looking millions of years into the future is uncomprehendable. It's like trying to imagine the world, when your still in the womb..

Actually, that isn't even a comparison. When you're still in the womb, you have absolutely no basis on what to imagine the world to be. On the other hand, we have experienced a world as a species for thousands of years. Therefore, we have something to base our thoughts on.

Actually, that isn't even a comparison. When you're still in the womb, you have absolutely no basis on what to imagine the world to be. On the other hand, we have experienced a world as a species for thousands of years. Therefore, we have something to base our thoughts on.

But MILLIONS OF YEARS?? There is NOTHING to base ideas on for that.

Yes, there is something. It just isn't likely to be sufficient to provide a clear picture of what it will look like. For example, I can't imagine how it could be possible to control time, or what kinds of aliens humanity might meet. But it is still possible to make a vague hypothesis.

Therefore, long-distance travel will be accomplished by "folding" the fourth dimension, creating a shortcut from point A to point B, which effectively makes the trip much shorter.

We all know what happens when a ship uses that technology, right? It comes back with something evil. *hint hint* Event Horizon.

Joking aside, I think Arthur Clarke said something like "It's likely that an advanced society's technology would looks to us as magic". I don't think there will be that kind of magic-like techological breakthrough in humanity's future. I mean no fancy jump drives, worm holes or 4 dimension. It's a little bleak look but humanity would self destruct before getting to that point.

And we're pretty much stuck in our solar system. I guess the most likely way that humans can colonize outside solar system would be by some kind of generation ship.