xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lonebyrd

Is It Possible To Share Programs On Home Network

i have a photoshop 7.0 disk that is scratched beyond belief and wont install on my computer. But on my other computer which is on a home network i have the photoshop program installed. Does anyone know how to share that on my computer? Is it possible? If so how? I am using windows XP by the way.

i have a photoshop 7.0 disk that is scratched beyond belief and wont install on my computer. But on my other computer which is on a home network i have the photoshop program installed. Does anyone know how to share that on my computer? Is it possible? If so how? I am using windows XP by the way.

Basically it should be no different from sharing programs on any other network. You should make sure your drive and folder 'share' permissions are set correctly on each system. In particular the one containing the programn we will call this system A. You must ensure you are able to to access the main drive containing the program - an example would be c:\programfiles\photoshop - but only an example as your setup may be different. In simple terms you looking to share photoshop.exe or whatever it is called.

You then create a shortcut to this on system B - the one you wish to run the program on in the same way you would create in normal circumstanes just on a different desktop. The only issue you may have here is setting the permissions in XP which can be a pain at the best of times. Also, check how you set the network up. In general it is better to do so manually than use the home network wizard especialy if you different versions of windows on each machine.

Not really no.

Basically it should be no different from sharing programs on any other network. You should make sure your drive and folder 'share' permissions are set correctly on each system. In particular the one containing the programn we will call this system A. You must ensure you are able to to access the main drive containing the program - an example would be c:\programfiles\photoshop - but only an example as your setup may be different. In simple terms you looking to share photoshop.exe or whatever it is called.

You then create a shortcut to this on system B - the one you wish to run the program on in the same way you would create in normal circumstanes just on a different desktop. The only issue you may have here is setting the permissions in XP which can be a pain at the best of times. Also, check how you set the network up. In general it is better to do so manually than use the home network wizard especialy if you different versions of windows on each machine.

That wouldn't work. Since as he installed Photoshop on his other PC he'd need to get the Registry entry from his other PC and export it, copy/save it to a Floppy/USB pen then go to his PC that he wants it shared on and import the registry entry in regedit.exe (Also known as Registry Editor).

OR a simple way, would be to uninstall Photoshop from both PCs and download the Portable versions of Photoshop. Try using the Portable versions of Photoshop and copy/cut and paste them into any of your Directories in your C Drive. :D

It's pretty simple and easy if you ask me. :D

-Sky.

Not really no.

That wouldn't work. Since as he installed Photoshop on his other PC he'd need to get the Registry entry from his other PC and export it, copy/save it to a Floppy/USB pen then go to his PC that he wants it shared on and import the registry entry in regedit.exe (Also known as Registry Editor).

OR a simple way, would be to uninstall Photoshop from both PCs and download the Portable versions of Photoshop. Try using the Portable versions of Photoshop and copy/cut and paste them into any of your Directories in your C Drive. :D

It's pretty simple and easy if you ask me. :D

-Sky.

Not quite as the program would be 'running' from system A where it is installed and simply displayed and controlled from system B. If it were like you say then there would be no point to a network and servers as all systems would be running independent installations and no shared data - accounts packages for instance or databases like this forum......

Not quite as the program would be 'running' from system A where it is installed and simply displayed and controlled from system B. If it were like you say then there would be no point to a network and servers as all systems would be running independent installations and no shared data - accounts packages for instance or databases like this forum......

Ahh, true. Although he'd have to have alot of Licenses for Photoshop, right? I'm sure Adobe would disallow multiple installations on different computers to have the same license key. Unless he installs it on his Home Server and connects his Home computers to a LAN network based server, so all computers (reguardless of how many) would be able to be on the same server. It'd keep the programs. Although he'd need to sort out and put all computers onto his Home Servers domain, thus needing to change all of his PCs workgroups to the same domain of the server. :D

That would be <INSERT BAD WORDS USED IN POSITIVE WAYS> confusing. :D