xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
madman78

Help Using 3g Internet As A Network Internet Source

Hey everyone. I am looking for some help using my 3G wireless internet to turn it into a networking internet source. It comes as a USB stick that picks up the 3G signal. I'm not sure if I have to plug in the usb stick directly to my computer and then somehow hook up my computer to a router, or if there is a router out there that can have the USB stick put directly into it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It depends on what type of 3G phone you have. Some phones like the blackberry allow you to use the phone as a modem very easily, while other phones do not allow it. Also, some carriers limit the amount of monthly bandwidth you can use, many say unlimited but if you read the small print you'll most likely find a cap on your data usage per month.

It actually isn't a phone but a data stick that picks up the wireless signal. I only use it for my computer's internet (although admittedly it's much slower than advertised). It provides 150-200 kbps download speeds.

the device is a compass 597 made by sierra wireless if that's more helpful.

I am not too familiar with the "wireless everywhere" cards, but as far as I understand, they should plug directly into your computer. I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't be working. Make sure that you have any necessary drivers or software installed, and try contacting the manufacturer. I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help to your issue.

Hey I appreciate your help. I didn't contact the manufacturer, but I did contact my ISP and they said Id have to pay an additional $5 a month for the ablity to network the internet signal which blows my mind. I don't know how the signal could somehow be stopped form being sharred and also I can''t believe they would charge extra for it. anyway, I told them based on the reallyslow speeds I might consider cancelling my plan and just continue to use dial up which is about $50 a month cheaper.Thanks again.

compass 597Help Using 3g Internet As A Network Internet SourceI use a belkin wireless router and found that you can share the compass 597 only if the dhcp is turned off on the router ... Which allows the host pc to assign ip addresses... I only wish to be able to use the wan function though to utilise the routers functions... Is there an adapter from usb to wan out there? -reply by kellyKeywords: convert compass 597 to wan

Easy with macbookHelp Using 3g Internet As A Network Internet Source

My friend has a Verizon 3g usb stick and he literally transports a hot spot with him. Since the wifi was not used I simply sent the signal out through System Preferences/Sharing/Internet Sharing and chose airport. You can create a security password too. I found that pretty sweet. There we were on a farmers market and everyone was browsing with their laptop !

Easy with macbookHelp Using 3g Internet As A Network Internet Source

My friend has a Verizon 3g usb stick and he literally transports a hot spot with him. Since the wifiWas not used I simply sent the signal out through SystemPreferences/Sharing/Internet Sharing and chose airport. You can createA security password too. I found that prettysweet. There we were on a farmers market and everyone was browsing with their laptop !

-reply by jerkijer