xisto Community
arcanistherogue

Need Help With Firefox

Ok, for about 2-3 weeks now firefox has been crapping out on me. First, in early december my extensions menu stopped working. That is, whenever I went Tools>Extensions, my cursor went to the arrow and the hourglass for about 5 second then stopped, and nothing else happened. The Themes menu works fine, and continues to, but most of the time changes to the theme won't appear or will appear sometime later, usually 2 hours later.

Now, WeatherFox has stopped working. A message to reconfigure it has been appearing every time I boot up Firefox, and is getting quite annoying. Also, It has been erasing my bookmarks. I heard accounts of this from other people on GameFAQs, and now it is happening more frequently. I do not even bookmark pages now, as the bookmarks are erased within maybe 3 days. Before they lasted maybe 1-2 months without any problem.

Here is a screenshot of what I see on firefox, though its cropped:

Posted Image

As you can see, my bookmarks on the bookmark toolbar are gone (they actually just reset), my theme is back to normal, and the error is popping up.

I have enjoyed FireFox immensly in the past, but now I am starting to dislike it.

I tried to reinstall from the setup file I have saved on my computer, but that just made another icon on my desktop. Would I need to download another setup file and try to install it from that?

I really want to use FireFox, I get WAAAY too many popups with IE, to go from none to a billion would be impossible.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

(EDIT) I forgot to say what the annoying thing about that popup was. The 'OK' button does not work, I can hit it and it doesn't confirm. I have filled out the form multiple times, and no dice. Maybe it is because of the recent change to ForecastFox, but with my Extensions menu not working I can't uninstall it or put in the new one.

by the sound of it, i'd say that you either have malware, or some corrupted files/registry keys. you should download lavasoft ad-aware and see if it finds anything suspicious (most likely anything at all). if that doesn't work, my only guess could be that the firefox files on your computer got corrupted. if you have really important stuff in your cache, my recommendation would be to install another browser temporarily, automatically import everything into that browser, then reinstall firefox and import everything back to firefox. by the way, when was the last time you defragmented your hard drive? that might have *something* to do with it... (probably not, but its a good idea to defrag anyway)one last thing about popup blocking: Windows XP SP2 has a built in popup blocker for Internet Explorer. there are also numerous toolbars that can serve as a good popup blocker; i used google's until i got firefox myself. however, unless its absolutely necessary do NOT go back to Internet Explorer. get Avant or MyIE2 or Opera, but seriously, Internet Explorer sucks! :P

Firefox has been crapping on ME ever since I downloaded it. It seems to have problems with basic stuff like java and extensions. I don't know what to do. Why does this keep happening. How do I install extensions?? ;)

You may want to report this problem to mozilla incase this is infecting more people than you. I think they have a forum like we do here and I will check it out later right now I am trying to set up my corprate website.P.S. No Matter What FireFox Is BetterThanksEric Drinkard

I've had a problem similar to this before. Here's what the problem is: When you uninstall FireFox, it's just uninstalling the program, and not, well, some other stuff.First, uninstall it. Now...Assuming you're using Windows XP:Go to:Start Menu -> RunType %AppData%Then click on the Mozilla Folder.In the Mozilla Folder, there should be a Firefox folder. Delete that! (WARNING: Stuff like favorites and other stuff you've done to customize the browser will be deleted forever)Now try reinstalling. It should work!