xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shibbeh

My forum what you think?

Yours is pretty small as well, Shackman. Under 30 registered users and under 400 posts isn't exactly large.Forums that have few members/posts but a lot of categories tend to look a lot more empty than they would if they lost a little weight. Having a few forums with a lot of posts looks better than a lot of forums with a few posts.Anyway, best of luck to both of you.

Well they're still starting after all, it'll take a while before they'll get the member base that they want...and then start wishing it should never gotten so large :P But I agree, dish out different forums according to the demand and need of your users.

Yours is pretty small as well, Shackman. Under 30 registered users and under 400 posts isn't exactly large.

Forums that have few members/posts but a lot of categories tend to look a lot more empty than they would if they lost a little weight. Having a few forums with a lot of posts looks better than a lot of forums with a few posts.

Anyway, best of luck to both of you.

I was referring to the content and layout of the forum. Anyway, 30 reg users:367 articles that means 1 user posts on average 12 articles.

Do you guys have any ideas how we both can attract people to our forums? And when you said' Well they're still starting after all, it'll take a while before they'll get the member base that they want...and then start wishing it should never gotten so large

What did you mean? Is it because of bandwidth issues? What type of plug-ins(mods/hacks) are available for phpbb2 forums? So far I have only seen very limited ones like a shoutbox and 'karma' points.

Any pointers for the both of us?

What I meant was when your board becomes bigger and bigger you'll encounter different kinds of people, some hardcore sociopaths who love nothing more than to cause as much trouble within your community, some ugly fights break out---you know, that administrative crap you have to put up with and give you headaches. South-east Asians, like you and me, have a different perpective on such attitude.On the issue of inviting people for forums, one of the best way is to roam around online groups that share the main interest of your message board. Example, gaming, then search around Yahoo!Groups or GoogleGroups or chat groups and invite (not advertise) people, and if they like it, they'll spread the word themselves...instant advertisement! :P At least, in our case, it worked successfully.

What I meant was when your board becomes bigger and bigger you'll encounter different kinds of people, some hardcore sociopaths who love nothing more than to cause as much trouble within your community, some ugly fights break out---you know, that administrative crap you have to put up with and give you headaches. South-east Asians, like you and me, have a different perpective on such attitude.
On the issue of inviting people for forums, one of the best way is to roam around online groups that share the main interest of your message board. Example, gaming, then search around Yahoo!Groups or GoogleGroups or chat groups and invite (not advertise) people, and if they like it, they'll spread the word themselves...instant advertisement! :D At least, in our case, it worked successfully.

Thanks alot for the pointers. By the way, how did you know I was from south-east asia?

I do agree that some ugly fights do break out and people sometime get upset. However, as an administrator of the forum...I still feel honoured that they used my broad to quarrel! :D

Joking joking.

But anyway, what do you think keeps people coming back to a forum? Do you guys have any personal experiences you may like to share?

From a persoanl perspective, I don't think its really much on the quality of articles. Probably its like me coming back to Xisto because I know that its constantly ever changing and new stuff can be found often.

However, there are lots of forums like Xisto too, which are very active, but why do I not feel a pull to them? There are also forums that have very interesting articles but after visiting once, I usually don't return.

Anyone cares to share?