xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
trp

Magic Squares :)

I tried just doing text, but the spacing didn't work, so I just made it into a pic...

Posted Image

Edited by trp (see edit history)

Doesn't work on the small one (3x3) though:

- 1 -2 - -- - 3- 1 42 5 -6 - 39 1 22 5 76 8 3

Edit: It does work, I made a mistake, the last square should be:

7 1 22 5 86 9 3

hey bjrn the 7 should be where the 9 is because that is the only open square left on the first row. You just took it to the second row and continued the pattern. The should clear up why it didnt work for you and if it doesnt then oh well your just S.O.L.

erm... I just dont get that. Non of you make any sense with all of your complicated words. So what are these magic squares supposed to do because i am completley lost with what the heck this. Can some pleeaase help me. :PB):DB)

Its just something to keep us bored humans busy. there is no true reason behind it its just somethin cool to look at and try to figure out. If you come down to our amazing level then you will be surprised how easily you get amused lol. I tryed putting the 7 in the right spot but it still didnt work so i dont guess it does work for a 3x3 square

lol, I hope that I dont go to your level lol. Its probably very boring there. But ok. :P

hey bjrn the 7 should be where the 9 is because that is the only open square left on the first row.  You just took it to the second row and continued the pattern.

D'oh! Thanks for clearing that up. :P
I thought it was weird that it didn't work...

Edit: It does work, I made a mistake, the last square should be:

7 1 2=102 5 8=156 9 3=18
[/i]

44771[/snapback]

how do you figure this works? they are all supossed to add up to the same thing...

works but doesnt follow the same pattern

interesting game/time consuming activity

that last code makes no sense at all and i cant find any pattern in it however it does work very good job on finding somethin that works now if we could just find out the pattern u would b a millionaire! or mayb just a person that gets credit for a new code :D

sounds like a test you have to do in GCSE maths to me.

45417[/snapback]

Lol!! It's not...I found the pattern in this puzzle book thing, but the book I thought it was in wasn't...basically, I forget where I found it...but anyway, for my 101 x 101 magic square, I was working on it during math once (let me tell you, that's A LOT of graph paper...), and the teacher was talking about our cheat sheets that we could have for the test, and he said 1 page, but a normal sized page, not like mine...lol and I kept protesting that it wasn't a cheat sheet...stupid math teacher that has a sense of humor....

that last code makes no sense at all and i cant find any pattern in it however it does work very good job on finding somethin that works now if we could just find out the pattern u would b a millionaire! or mayb just a person that gets credit for a new code  :D

45426[/snapback]

I've been trying lol, and I may be on the way to figuring it out, unfortunately I lost the 4 x 4 magic square my friend gave me (from this puzzle calendar thing), so now I'm just trying to recreate it...

hi,The method u suggested does not work for 3x3 squares. and needs to be verified for others. Here is another way:1. start from the middle of the top row._ 1 __ _ __ _ _2. Go towards north-east of the square. If u cross a boudary jump to the other end._ 1 __ _ __ _ 23. Continue step 2._ 1 _3 _ __ _ 24. If the process is blocked by an already filled square/ or there is no column/row to jump across , then place the no. just below the current one._ 1 _3 _ _4 _ 2_ 1 _3 5 _4_ 2_ 1 63 5 _4 _ 2_ 1 63 5 74 _ 28 1 63 5 74 _ 28 1 63 5 74 9 2This magic square adds up to 15 in all directions. So there is a pattern after all.If I remember this problem can be found in some books of computer science for design and analysis of algorithms. I remember studying it some time back.I might not have been very clear, but this works for all squares of odd numbered boxes. Post ur queries in case of any clarifications.Cheers.