xisto Community
whyme

Skype? Hmm...

I'm hearing more and more about Skype all the time now, the FREE internet telphony service, but I don't really get what this frenzy is all about, and I haven't bothered to try it out either, it the free service thing really tat good, does it mean then, that you get two telehpone lines? Heck, I don't even know how skype works... :P Can someone please tell me?

I'm hearing more and more about Skype all the time now, the FREE internet telphony service, but I don't really get what this frenzy is all about, and I haven't bothered to try it out either, it the free service thing really tat good, does it mean then, that you get two telehpone lines? Heck, I don't even know how skype works... :P  Can someone please tell me?

44642[/snapback]

you should read the FAQ on their website first.

basically it is like any IM, but focus on audion communication, so called pc-to-pc phone. other IMs like msn messenger also have this function, however, skype use p2p technology which allows it not affected by any firewall and better sound quality. I have checked out it before, and I have to say it has the best sound and voice quality so far in all IMs. they also have pc-phone services now but it is a paid service. They also plan to introduce video capability.

again, if you wantt to use skype to call somebody, then the other part also have to have it installed, which is the reason I don't use it because all my friend use msn.

It is basicaly a FREE online phone service... (you do have to pay for calls to normal phonelines tho) I use it so that I can do double acts on an online radio station and also have phone-ins...Its pretty cool.

It is ?yet another IM? with a built in Internet Phone option. The Instant Messenger part is free, but you can buy credits from the company to get Internet Phone and IDD. There is also a WebCam function, but it does not have any apparent edge over other options like YahooIM and MSN. The best thing is: it is almost cross platform. I say almost, because I don?t think Linux is supported as the moment. It can be run in a Pocket PC, but not in a Palm, I think. It is not that attractive as people say.

I have used Skype earlier and liked it a lot...But somehow, I did not get to use it much... Though the internet phone option is excellent and the quality is also exceptional, I am not using it, I don't know why :DWill give it another chance on my PC.Right now, I am using Gaim which is an excellent cross-service messenger, and am in love with it :PGooglue!

I'm a big fan of skype and use it often to communicate with friends across the world. The sound quality is crazy good and it really truley feels like your using a normal phone. They also have a paid service where you can "phone" any normal phone in the world from your PC at one flat, very reasonable rate. I would make sure that one has some sort of broadband though as there could be a delay otherwise.

My father lives in British Columbia, while I live in New York. You can imagine how expensive it gets to call on the telephone.... especially because he talks on and on.He and I now use Skype as much as possible. Like it was said elsewhere, the sound quality is just awesome. He uses the file transfer to send me pictures of the family up in Canada. I use the IM feature to send him a website I like. There is an option called "Skype me" which tells people not on your buddylsit you want to talk. I have used this a few times, but I really don't like chatting with random people.The downside of Skype is the lack of popularity. Almost all my friends are on AIM. If they all also used Skype, that would be good... but no one else (besides my dad) uses it.I guess I just have to force some friends to use it (with my ninja powers, of course). :D

Yeah , the quality is very good.

I think the real problem is that it's not so easy to call to/from normal phone.

Or the payment mode is not well build.

I'm a big fan of skype and use it often to communicate with friends across the world. The sound quality is crazy good and it really truley feels like your using a normal phone. They also have a paid service where you can "phone" any normal phone in the world from your PC at one flat, very reasonable rate. I would make sure that one has some sort of broadband though as there could be a delay otherwise.

45050[/snapback]