xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
burgen

Smached Nuclear Submarine

The NAVY released photographs of the smashed nuclear submarine San Fransico, here is the news:-

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

the submarine hit a mountain because it is not on their map!
To quote the article:

"Military officials have said that the submarine's main chart was prepared in 1989 and did not show any potential hazards within three miles of the crash site. Satellite images taken since then show the wedge-shaped outline of the undersea mountain. But officials have said the agency that prepared the charts had never had the resources to use the satellite data to improve them.

Also yesterday, Kent D. Lee, the chief executive of East View Cartographic Inc., a map company based in Minneapolis, said Russian Navy charts indicate more hazards in that part of the ocean than were on the American charts, though they also fail to show the undersea mountain.

Mr. Lee said the Russian charts have been available for five years. He said one of the Russian charts noted that the area where the crash occurred had been "insufficiently surveyed." It also warned: "Cautionary measures should be taken when sailing.""

so US has the technology but failed to take advantage of it. Now the FBI or CIA has some more things to do.

this is another link in cnn:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

There is a trick to view the orginal link, it works for me, anybody can try and confirm it.

Go to this google news search results:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&qtnG=Search+News&cf=all&q&js=0

The first result should be the NYtimes article, click on it, you should be able to read it. seems google has a way to dodge the subscription page.

I think the thing most people do not understand is that these things are going to happen. These nuclear subs are running around the clock 24x7 and you never hear about anything. I mean, this and the soviet one that "sank" a few years back ... that was about it. So that's kind of the price you pay for having this kind of equipment to ensure your country (and your friends countries) remain safe.

I don't really mean to bicker or start a politcal war on this post. However, how is a nuclear sub keeping us safe 350 miles south of Guam? It's not like it is patrolling the hot waters of the atlantic during WW2 here. Nor is it that there is any naval fleet in the world with the capabilities ours has at current time. Russia (using US news of course...) as a naval power is falling apart, they rust in the harbor. So what is the point of keeping these subs so active around the world? Do we really need to be 350 miles south of Guam? I don't believe so.

These submaries are basicly weapons of fear. They are used to scare off other countrys from starting a war with them. While doing this they are also endangering 100s of peoples lives. This is so unneeeded.

These submaries are basicly weapons of fear. They are used to scare off other countrys from starting a war with them.
While doing this they are also endangering 100s of peoples lives. This is so unneeeded.

Yeah I totally agree.

I think the thing most people do not understand is that these things are going to happen. These nuclear subs are running around the clock 24x7 and you never hear about anything. I mean, this and the soviet one that "sank" a few years back ... that was about it. So that's kind of the price you pay for having this kind of equipment to ensure your country (and your friends countries) remain safe.

yeah they run round the clock and dock every month/few months or so. They cost tens of millions to maintain per year and even more to upgrade. It's not really used to keep your country safe, your coast guard does that.