xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Create a shortcut in desktop to other computer How To Create A Show Desktop Shortcut

Create a shortcut in desktop to other computerHow To Create A Show Desktop Shortcut

How to make a shortcut in desktop to other computer?

I am using network connected computers. I have used somany computers in our network. Everyone has their own User ID & password. My qustion is how can I create a shortcut to desktop in other computer?

Eg: My user name is Raj1000. I have somany folders in desktop of Computer10. Right now I am using Computer20. How can I access my desktop in Computer10 from Computer20.

Raj Kumar

I am not really sure it is possible outside of using remote desktop software such as Team Viewer or the built in remote desktop software. However, I believe this website might have the answer for your question but not to sure.

* Step 1:
Click Start and then My Network Places." If you do not see My Network Places in your Start menu, click Start and then My Computer." Under Other Places click My Network Places."
Step 2:
In the Network Tasks task pane, click Add a Network Place."
Step 3:
The Add Network Place Wizard will open. Click Next."
Step 4:
Click Choose Another Network Location and click Next."
Step 5:
Type the address of the website, network location, or FTP site you want this shortcut to open. If you arent sure what the address is, click Browse and navigate to the location and click OK." Click Next."
Step 6:
Enter a name for your shortcut and click Next," and then click Finish."

Source

http://www.answerbag.com/articles/How-to-M4b-f5eab6318fdf

Of course the one thing I could never figure out is if you need to have the other computer on when trying access their resources or not, but make sure it is on and that you have shared folders enable so that you can access them.

I agree. That doesn't make sense to have 20+ computers on a network, and not be able to access the resources on each other. Although, you said that everybody has a unique User ID and password, but you can't save files that you can access at any terminal? That just doesn't make sense...

Well to go off my original post and asking my LAN instructor he gave me this response:

First you need to make sure that folder is accessible by setting up the folder sharing preferences on that folder on Computer 10(this can include the desktop) or putting the folder/files you want to share inside the shared folder. Then, if all of the computers talk to each other properly, follow the steps you sent, to find the Computer 10. The only problem with this is that after doing this, anyone can get these files, unless you password protect the file.

sp go off my post and this one and you should be able to connect to that other computer with a shortcut.