xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
networkmind

Creating New Ip Addresses

At present there are 64 static IP addresses provided by our ISP. I need to keep the existing core IP addresses assigned to the router, and 2 servers. An additional 5 addresses have been allocated to switches. All other addresses are being used for desktop PC?s or network printers. The network now has a number of new PC?s which mean the total desktop count exceeds the available addresses. There are no further addresses available from our ISP and therefore I need a solution to overcome this.

After rereading all the gibberish because of using hte enter key too many times, I would say either get another ISP account or buy a server to add more IP address to your network. Or You can put them in subnet mask and actually group your computers and thus freeing up a few IP address or turn one of the IP address into a dynamic one to reall solve your problem, but either way it would seem that your network is set up wrong and your not utilizing your network equipment properly.

I would do what Saint_Michael said. A subnet mask will free up your domains very quickly. You can have theoretically an infinite amount of computers under one IP. If you have 64 IPs, I would put at least 10 per IP (going off your info, that should be good). That leaves room for expansion. And you can always add more to an IP if necessary. Of course, you might be able to request more IPs from you ISP, of course that will cost more.

hey its quite simple , i understand that you have 64 static IP address, actually with one static IP address itself you can serve many host computer , all you need to do is set up a small LAN and i will explain it to you step by step,1) Get a Router or any device ( any end device some times firewall too ) which can perform NATing for you, NATing is nothing but Network Address Translation2) have a Switch ( Preferably Cisco's 24 port switch ) . Take a Ethernet Connection from the router or the end device which you have used to do NATing and give it as input to your Switch.3) Now that your switch is connected and given an Input and you can use the remaining 23 ports to connect 23 other hosts.4)You can take a line from this switch and give as input to some other switch and so on.Note: All you have to note here is Addressing these , just set the ethernet port in the router ( end device which you use ) 192.168.1.1 and this will act as the gateway.Now if you go for subnetting Calculate the subnet mask correspondingly or just keep it as broadcast address 255.255.255.0Thats it done! But remember to take care of the Addressing . . . :P :P