xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Party Tricks To Stay Lean How not to put on weight in the face of a heavily laden dining table&#

We love the feeling of bonhomie as the year draws to a festive close and the days fill with shopping and feasting. Soon after though, your sins start showing on your weighing machine. If it's your waistline under threat right now, maintaining weight is actually achievable with a bit of discipline and preparation.

Tips for the guests - Cheat at the table

It may be the Christmas or Chinese New Year reunion dinner. The tables are piled high with food that your host, mum or grandma insists you eat. What do you do to placate relatives and friends and still maintain your waistline? Take small helpings of energy-rich foods high in fat, fried dishes or cakes and instead fill your plate with lots of less energy dense vegetables and fruits. That way your host will see that you have a full plate and not feel insulted. Eat slowly to maintain the illusion of a plate constantly stacked with food.

Another way to reduce temptation is actually to eat something (preferably less energy dense foods like whole-wheat crackers or fruit) before hitting dinner or a party, and thus avoid arriving ravenously hungry. The snacks will take the edge off your hunger and reduce the urge to binge. Drinking water or low-calorie fluids before and during meals also helps to keep you feeling full.

Tips for hosts

If you host a party, do yourself and your guests a favor by making clever substitutes of traditional favorites. Roast turkey or chicken are great low fat choices if they aren't accompanied with rich sauces or rich stuffing. Find a recipe for a lighter, fruit-based sauce that is just as flavorful but not as rich as traditional fat-based gravies. Stir-fry or steam vegetables instead of dousing them with thick sauces. Steam fish or chicken with herbs and condiments like ginger and garlic. Alternatively, you can serve low-fat seafood like grilled shrimp or steamed fish instead of meat dishes. Use low-fat or fat-free versions of salad dressing or dips for appetizers.

It is important to serve traditional dishes with all their trappings (after all, it is the festive season), but be kind to your guests and serve up lighter or lower calorie dishes as well - like fruit or mixed salad with low-fat dressing so that everyone stays happy and guilt-free.

Plan portions

Watching your portion sizes may not initially sound such a fun thing to do while having a festive dinner, but remember you will enjoy the festivities after the meal more if you don't have that uncomfortable 'I've eaten too much' feeling.

Here are some ideas to help in your portion control efforts - use the smallest plate you can find and mentally eye-ball the higher calorie items; at a buffet, start off with salads, fruit or vegetables and dig into the roast or meats only after you have had a couple of vegetable servings; drinking water or other low calorie fluids while you eat will also help to reduce the amount of food you eat and indirectly helps to keep you feeling full and satisfied.

Recognize danger zones

Beware of the appetizers and nibbles that accompany drinks and cocktails. You may not realize it, a handful of mixed nuts or crisps with your cocktail could actually have as many calories as a regular meal.

Avoid stocking up on regular cookies, cakes and desserts at home - after all, you can eat these any time of the year, and by eliminating these during the holiday period, you can replace with some of the traditional seasonal/ festive food treats. Limit consumption of treats by consuming them only at parties or festive meals and avoid gorging on second, third or even fourth helpings, and instead concentrate and savor in moderation.

Don't be tempted to skip main meals to balance calorie intake - this is most likely to lead to over-eating later in the day. Instead, choose light low calorie meals, and maybe make it something a little special, more expensive than your normal fare such as exotic imported fruit or a small delicacy -proving to yourself that you can still treat yourself without stacking up the calories.

Alcohol alert

Wine and alcoholic beverages often accompany meals during celebrations. Do remember that alcohol is a big calorie contributor. For instance, a 3.5oz glass of wine has about 80 calories. Other beverages like Christmas favorite egg-nog may set you back more than 100 calories a cup! Alternatives are a spritzer or alternate alcoholic drinks with sparkling water or other lower-in-calorie beverages.

Take action!

Inject some fun into the party by encouraging your guests to dance. Or if you're going out with a group of friends, suggest that you hit a nightspot with a dance floor and dance off the dessert!

After all the parties, if you're going to take a break, make it an active one. Book a vacation at a nearby island resort that offers a lot of water activities like snorkeling, kayaking or windsurfing. Or take a trip to hilly ground and hit the hiking trails. Or, don't leave town. Make family time play time by taking bike rides with the kids or picking up a new sport like rollerblading that the whole family can enjoy.

Ultimately, the holidays are a time to relax and enjoy. By making smart choices of what you eat and drink during this time, you can enjoy the season and leave 'losing weight' off your New Year's resolution list.

this is a great post! Too bad i didnt read this until AFTER thanksgiving and christmas! Lol. Well I know know which is what counts. This was very creative, informational, and helpful :D I will keep this stuff in mind next holidays! I think you should make a post for everyday tips similar to these. I have a problem with binging food. How can I stop eating so much?! I eat huge HUGE bowls (somtimes multiple) of cereal for breakfast, i get GIANT heaps of food for dinner and i eat whatever i can at lunch. I am of average weight, but i would like to slim down a little so my fat doesnt hang over my pants and i dont have cottage cheese thighs. So... could you make a post on how to prevent the urge to binge on a daily basis? Like little tricks and stuff... The water drinking sounds useful I will try this but i was wondering if you could help me out.