xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Old School Review: Mike Tyson's Punch Out

The New Year is upon us old school gamers and I thought I give you all a treat of another Old School Game Review. However, this time we are going to review second-generation console video games and thus let us go back to the past of the Nintendo Entertainment System.

It is funny about the stupid stuff you can remember, we went to the Ames store for some shopping and I think either my brother had the $100 or my dad did or it was split in half do not remember. I do know we were excited because of the fact we got a Nintendo System to play games with as the system came with two controllers, a light gun, the system itself and of course Mario/Duck Hunt game combination. As for the cliché slogan, the rest is history because that is what started us off in the gaming world. True we had an Atari system back then but I was a bit young and so the coordination was not there yet.

So you could say this is where my gaming world began and so as the years go by we played some of the most difficult games in the world during that time and of course found various ways to cheat as well. Like putting the light gun against the TV so as to shoot those stupid ducks quicker and of course the ever popular Game Genie. I know my brother was the only in our family to Super Mario Bros and Mike Tyson, can’t remember if he beat Zelda or not, but I do know I accidentally erase a friends saved game because of the mechanics to saving that game. Of course, the only game I ever beat without cheating was Wizards and Warrior but that is for another review.

As for the game itself, the furthest I ever got without using the Mike Tyson’s password was Soda Popinski, but I do think I go to Super Macho Man though at one time though. Either way, this game was rated one of the most difficult sports games of its time, and even if you did memorize the entire boxer’s patterns they still beat you good if your timing was off for just a millisecond. Of course, with only 2 losses before GAME OVER, you literally had to spend hours trying to figure everyone out. However, the problem was the designer’s 180 us gamers and not only change the difficult for 3 fighters, but you needed to upper cut one just to knock him out.

Of course the day was finally mine in 2006, that I finally beat Mike Tyson after countless hours in a emulator and reloading my last save in order to beat him. To me that was a proud moment even though it was technically cheating I did not care because after so many years I conquered this game. Interestingly enough, I think it was around the same time I found out there was updated version to this game and that Tyson got replaced with a fictional character, although the same move set. The Wikipedia article did not help much but I would have to go with the contract expiring before Tyson’s falls from grace happen soon after.

Mike Tyson’s Punch Out

Some Screen Shots

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Game Maker: Nintendo IRD

Year: 1987

Price: Hell I don’t even remember how much these games cost, $20-$30 maybe. Well after looking around, it would seem like $40-50 for a game. Either way I think my brother barrowed this from a friend LOL.

Levels: 14 with each level increasing in difficulty.

Sound: 10

Graphics: Perfect Pixel 10

Mini-Games: none

Difficulty: Back Then: 10 Now:10

Game play:

Two punch buttons, left and right moves, body blow and face shot, and super upper cut

Plot:

You play the role of Little Mac, your goal, become the great boxer in the world and if you succeed, then you get to face Mike Tyson in the Dream Fight.

First Impressions:

So freaking awesome oh my god so freaking hard too, just replace freaking with another word and you know where I am getting at.

22 years later:

Still a great game to play as it still provides a challenge in your reflexes and timing of trying not to get the crap beat out of you. It is interesting to note that after many and I mean many times replaying the same fight, that these fighters are completely random in how they throw their punches except for when they get knocked down or they have a time on a certain combo.

Overall Ranking:

Now for that Catchy slogan--

"Games don't get old, just people!"

--Now for some copyright info--

Images and of course games are copyrighted to its perspective owners blah blah blah. Roms are illegal and so do not get caught blah blah blah or else blah blah blah. Reviews and opinions are my own so don't argue with me unless you can prove otherwise why this game sucks and 100% of the time you are wrong because one your either a new school gamer and don't know a good game when you see it or two, well there is no two so HA!!. All slogans, trademarks and names excluded the games I review are copyrighted to me blah blah and blah. 2007-2009 SM Old School Legend.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

I loved Mike Tyson's Punch Out as a kid, and I still do to this day. The whole theme of the game is really rewarding, presenting you as the underdog who pulls through it all to achieve greatness. The size of your character compared to your opponents, the music itself that seems to suggest a challenge to victory, the sense of overcoming these powerful adversaries in order to reach the top... it's pretty much perfect in its simplicity. An all-around well-presented game, it of course also benefits from having tight gameplay that is snappy and responsive.I agree with your review, Saint_Michael. Congratulations on beating it finally, because at any age that's no easy task I think. I could only get up to Bald Bull myself before getting knocked out like yesterday's leftovers. Hard to time that uppercut that's REQUIRED to beat him :P .I should probably do the same and beat Punch Out by whatever means necessary, haha.