xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ousk

About Shutters

The reality is that few digital cameras have a real shutter in the sense that 35mm cameras have shutters. The 35mmcameras usually have a physical barrier that blocks light from entering the chamber where the film is stored. This mechanism—the shutter blade—moves lightning fast, able to deliver shutter speeds as fast as 1/8000 of a second. That’s fast.Digital cameras, in comparison, often don’t have real, physical shutters. You can verify this yourself with a simple experiment: When you press the shutter release on a 35mm camera, you can hear the quick, metallic click of the shutter blade opening and closing. A digital camera may not make any noise at all. Or it might make an obviously fake “click” sound through the camera’s speaker (Kodak and Sony cameras tend do this). It can, in fact, be quite difficult to discern whether a picture has been taken at all until you get used to the way digital cameras work. When I had my first digital camera, I actually had to look at the LCD display on the back of the camera to see if the picture was captured, or if for some mysterious reason the camera was still waiting to grab the shot.
So if there’s no shutter blade, how is the picture actually taken? Often, the CCD is simply turned on long enough to expose the picture. Since the CCD is an electronic component that acts as the camera’s film, it can be actuated electronically for whatever exposure time is needed. In addition, the camera’s aperture may close completely to keep light from reaching the CCD—prolonged exposure to sunlight can damage this sensitive part of the camera. But the aperture needn’t spring open and closed as quickly as the shutter blade in a 35mm camera, so the sound it makes isn’t as dramatic. You’ll hardly notice it at all.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Such a nice article if it was written by you, Ousk... tisk tisk

source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

warning issued.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Its all depends on the build of the camera.

Most prosumer and professional DZLRs / DSLRs still do the loud clanking sound and even the Sony DSLR series namely the a350, 700, 900 made the loudest noise. Certain mechanism have changed to fit into smaller bodies compare to the good old days of rangefinders.

Also, compact cameras have abolish the viewfinder since they prefer to squeeze a larger LCD for live preview on a smaller chassis. Viewfinder STILL exist as in all prosumers / professional DZLRs / DSLRs.

In addition, the camera?s aperture may close completely to keep light from reaching the CCD?prolonged exposure to sunlight can damage this sensitive part of the camera. But the aperture needn?t spring open and closed as quickly as the shutter blade in a 35mm camera, so the sound it makes isn?t as dramatic. You?ll hardly notice it at all.

CCD will be damage with long exposure of direct sunlight without eclipse filter fitted on the lens. Lens have aperture blade while the camera body have focal-plane shutter aka shutter plane that opens when you press the shutter button and closed when released.

What you are referring is known as central shutter which is used in many 35mm compact cameras and digital cameras. They are cheap in production compare to the focal-plane shutter. Slightly bulky digital point and shoot still have such mechanism ( i am talking about first gen and second gen digital cameras ) and as the camera makers starts to shrink the cameras, they stopped using the central shutter and opted for a much compact solution.

Do note, digital cameras and 35mm cameras still have physical mechanical shutters. If you have a spoiled digital camera, open it and you will find 56% of the parts is still mechanical while the rest is electronic PCB that is for the CCD, lens, and the LCD panels and image processing / storage.

Well not written by me but not written by him either, him i mean

Because it's from a book about analog and digital cameras. :P He just kind of did what i did :P

Ah, but the facts isn't really genuine. It does make sense in some points but the truth about shutters isnt that shallow. Anyway, thanks for the link, BuffaloHELP.