xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
africa

Is Distance Learning Ideal For An Undergrad?

Im confused over whether i should enroll for a degree at a real institution or just go for distance learning programs? I want to major in software development but the problem is i've kinda run out of time.Is't ideal and wont i come across major problems?

I think it would be best to enroll at a real institution since having your professor right there and available in person can be really helpful at times. Also, formal classroom instruction can be more effective than just reading the textbook yourself (this varies by person, of course, but I think most people find the lectures helpful).I majored in computer science and I can't really imagine doing it as a distance learning program, especially since much of what you learn involves lab work, giving you the chance to practice certain software techniques. If you don't have the required hardware/software to support certain programming languages, it can be a pain to set it up or to find somewhere that does have it. You will also probably run into issues trying to get things to work, especially when you first begin, and it's nice to have the professors and other students there to help. By enrolling at a real institution, you don't have to worry about this.But depending on your motivation, you probably won't have MAJOR problems in a distance learning program, it could just be a potential inconvience and will require a lot of self-discipline. Many others have succesfully done it, so you will most likely be able to as well. I would only consider it if time is a huge issue, otherwise it's probably worth it just to go to the real institution.Good luck!

africa,

I'm not sure what particular direction you would like to go into with software development. You can be successful with certificates and experience in software development but often times they prefer that you have a more thorough education in software, i.e. a Bachelor's Degree in either Computer Science or Computer Science and Engineering. One of the major reasons a college degree helps out over getting certificates is that the degree represents experience in the field, especially if the school has an accredited program (i.e ABET accredited for computer engineering programs).

It also depends on what you know you would like to do with software developing. Sometimes if you don't know, going to an on campus classroom exposes you to other people working in the field or teachers who can offer bits of advice to figure out what kind of direction you would like to go into. Software development is a huge field, really. While it's based on the same concept, there's so much you could do. So being on campus, in a classroom, would help you to feel things out to see what works for you.

Some advantages to doing classes online - if it's an accredited school like a state college, it might be more beneficial to you to take classes online if you are unable to attend on campus classes because of work and/or family or perhaps location. Aside from feasibility issues of getting to a campus, you might simply enjoy the online atmosphere and learning on your own.

Be warned though, as with any class online, you have to have discipline to make time for it and to keep your own pace because of not having a daily class to go to that provides a pace for you. It is not impossible and it is different for everyone. You might enjoy it. I suggest that if you do online classes to try and get a phone number or email addresses of other classmates so you have someone to talk to about assignments incase anything is confusing or you/them has any questions.

I hope this helps!

Software development is a nice field to get into.

Good luck. =)