xisto Community
karlo

Laptop Faster. Internet Faster. And Why? help me out

First of all here are my computer specs:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-or-

Download the Reports here

I bought a new memory. 1gb. Kingston. I haven't got the time to check the authenticity of the memory card because I don't know how to insert it onto my laptop. So I let the technician do it for me. I know it's authentic. But I can't verify it to Kingston's Website because I don't know how to check the serial number inside my laptop. At the same time I'm afraid to check it out because I have to open my laptop.

Anyway here's the new memory:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, while writing this down. Thanks to this tool.. I was aware of the ... probably damage? By the way I thought Kingston offers a life time warranty.

If that's the case then why is the "computer store" offering me 1year of warranty? (check the attachment)

Posted Image

post-2049-1228312621_thumb.png

Hi Guys,It doesn't look like he wants to know if it damaged, He wants to know the best way to verify it on the kington website.Mate you should not have to take apart your whole laptop, there should just be an access panel with one screw that you can undo to get to the ram, if this is the case the serial number will be on the side that is facing you, note this down and then go to the kingston website....Yes kingston does offer a life time warranty, what the shop is offering you is for the first year if it messes up they will replace it for free of charge as after that you will have to send it to the kingston factory and then go through all there refund / replacement policy....I know this may be a silly question and the answer being No, But did you keep the box and all the paperwork that ame with the ram, I am not trying to make you sound silly mate but as you got the technician to install it they tend to just through the casing away....If that is the case your life time warranty will not be valid anyway as you need proof of the purchase (more than the shops receipt)Any way mate any more probs just post back in hereHope I have helpedany more probs you can m me also mate

I don't get what you mean by damage, I checked all your images. But I don't see anything that indicates damage to your memory card:S

Did I forgot to indicate what was I am experiencing? Anyway I'm experiencing that when I leave the laptop turned on.. probably more than 5 hours. It automatically shuts down, or restarts itself. Also, when I'm using it for more than 3 hours, I really feel the heating of my laptop's keyboard.

Sometimes, explorer always crashes. Sometimes, I can't run programs for no reasons.

Hi Guys,
It doesn't look like he wants to know if it damaged, He wants to know the best way to verify it on the kington website.

Mate you should not have to take apart your whole laptop, there should just be an access panel with one screw that you can undo to get to the ram, if this is the case the serial number will be on the side that is facing you, note this down and then go to the kingston website....

Yes kingston does offer a life time warranty, what the shop is offering you is for the first year if it messes up they will replace it for free of charge as after that you will have to send it to the kingston factory and then go through all there refund / replacement policy....

I know this may be a silly question and the answer being No, But did you keep the box and all the paperwork that ame with the ram, I am not trying to make you sound silly mate but as you got the technician to install it they tend to just through the casing away....

If that is the case your life time warranty will not be valid anyway as you need proof of the purchase (more than the shops receipt)

Any way mate any more probs just post back in here

Hope I have helped

any more probs you can m me also mate

I also wanted to know if it's damaged or if that memory is really compatible to my laptop. I'm really becoming paranoid with opening laptops etc.. but not with CPUs. :) I have the memory's box and the memory's receipt with me.

By the way, what type of memory can you recommend? Or what manufacturer? For Laptops and For Desktops?

I suppose that would mean you threw in a bad stick of RAM... if you just started experiencing these random restarts, inability to run programs at times, etc.If that's the case, I recommend you return the chip and get another one. If that's not the case, you'll have to play with trial and error to find the bad stick of RAM.On a laptop, it is VERY easy to change, add, or remove RAM from the system. Most laptops will have an access panel on the bottom where you can take out a bolt to gain access. Your laptop manual or a quick Google search will be able to tell you where it is, and it should also tell you HOW to change out RAM. The chips usually are held in by tabs, so pushing/pulling the tabs in a direction will free the RAM for removal. I know that in the case of my laptop, I simply insert and remove my RAM at an angle, then seat it flat.Just make sure that you're grounded lest you want to fry components. :) P.S. About recommending good RAM: You get what you pay for... literally, to an extent. The important things to look for is CAS latency as well as the story behind the RAM history of the company you're buying from. I hear that Dell is cheap and has cheap components, which really means that they'll work but won't last forever. I've heard good things about Kingston and Crucial, of course, but then again, they pretty much dominate as far as brand names go. Not sure how I would feel with Patriot PC or any other brands I've never heard of. Do your homework, read reviews, and see ratings for different products. If you see a trend, I'd steer clear of infamously-bad components and/or brands.

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

For desktops Memory i recommend these :- Transcend- Simmtronics- Kingston- KoserKoser and simmtronics are not sold everywhere so you've to check with the local shop if they're available for you.

The auto shutdowns and restart is due to overheating issues in most cases. If you installed the new memory and you have these problem since the installation, then its most likely one of the chip is damaged by electric static or high temperature or a hard knock. Only way to rectify it is to bring your laptop back to the shop, have them to witness the problem and insist for a change.

To actually test if your memory is damaged, you need to use a tool called memtest86+ . You will have to create a bootable CD and boot through CD for the test. Run it overnight and it will report any errors found. Link : http://www.memtest.org/

Memory brand wise, i would say Corsair and Kingston is the valuable brand to go. There is more brand to choose from but most of them produce high performance modules. NO difference in any memory manufactured except for its timing and latency and the memory chips they used. Usually on the laptops, i find that Samsung memory module works very well and through my usage experience, they seem to be able to "handle" heat trap to some extent.