xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kudmus

Dell Latitude Low Volume

I am running XP SP3 on a Dell Latitude D600 and I have a problem with the laptop's volume. I have tried most players and my system volume is always on the maximum but the laptop still plays at a very low volume. The volume is perfect when I use external speakers. Can someone help me?

Ugh. I suffered the same exact problem with my Dell Inspiron 8600 when I had it a few years ago. At "maximum" volume, it was barely audible... definitely not something you can deal with if you're going to be trying to watch a movie with half a dozen other onlookers behind you trying to hear the dialogue. :)

If I remember correctly, what I ended up doing after hours of fiddling around advanced settings and updating drivers was that I just installed the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, which included the gem that I believe fixed my problem: the AC3 filter audio codec. This audio codec included preferences that you could set to bolster your audio volume... not to mention it does it by default anyway. (You will definitely be able to hear audio out of your laptop speakers after installing the codec.)

Not trying to push software that you might not be unfamiliar with (because we all know how pleasant it is to download something that doesn't work out the way we want them to, especially when you get the recommendation from someone random on the Internet like me :) ), but I can personally vouch using the codec pack since its 3.0 revision, and I still use it to be able to play a variety of different audio and video files with Windows Media Player. Give it a shot... I'm sure it'll be able to help you out.

K-Lite codec pack is installed already on the laptop. I added it in my installation disc so it is installed when I install windows. Maybe it's the settings that I got wrong but this is weird especially considering that you said it is enabled by default. There are a lot of things I don't understand about K-lite codec pack settings and usually leave the default on. Let me try and play around with it and I'll tell you what comes out.