xisto Community
bluedragon

Remove Traces Of Login From A Computer ?

Hi , I need to know if theres a way to remove traces of a log-on from a system. OS is win XP. I tried googling and so far I know how to disable the Last Logon on the system. I am authorized to work on Any computer system but I don't want the other people to know where all I have worked. Whenever we log-in on a system a new personal settings, folders, etc are created for each user. Is there an option in XP where we can remove those. Pls reply.. Thanks :lol:

You could use a regedit tweak to remove the username of the person who loged in last:

Open [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Policies\\System]and create a new string value, or modify the existing value, called \"DontDisplayLastUserName\" and set it to \"1\" to enable or \"0\" to disable the restriction.

This will cause Windows XP to display a blank username field on login instead of the last loged username.See more details on that here: http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1/

As for the files that appear in Documents and Settings when you login I guess you could just delete those, but I don\'t know of any way to auto-delete them each time you logout.
Edited by EinReaper (see edit history)

Well without some serious knowledge of your network and of course admin access, there isn't any legal method of removing traces from a computer. Even if you did remove it from a log there is going to be a log of you remove it and so it wouldn't matter what you do except put a nail through the hard drive.

i'm not sure if you can but you might want to try privacy guardian from pctools (a company which i trust). it can delete tracks and logs on the internet and everything like that but i'm not sure if it can delete logon details. there is a free version and a paid version. you will most likely be able to delete logon traces and stuff like that on the paid version (which is a lot better than the free version). give that a shot, if that doesn't work them i'm not sure what will.

@ SAINT MICHAEL - Its a server based authentication and the Rights are controlled by server ( like in any company ). I dont want to remove my record from any of the servers. Its just that I dont want other ppl to see what all computers I use. The "last user name" problem is fixed. Is there a way to delete the files or if possible not create the profile files at all on the system i LOG into :)Thanks all :)