xisto Community
gameratheart

Changing Your Subdomain...

This is quite a complicated question so I hope it can make sense.

I'm still to buy a package for Web Hosting under the new MyCent rules. The problem I have that's stopping me from doing it is, I want to keep the content that is on the site I own already. But I DON'T want to use the same subdomain, because the subdomain I used to use referred to a part of my site now defunct. This leaves me in a pickle because from what I can see, if you're planning on importing your old hosting plan, you have to use the same Subdomain and give it's CPanel Username and Password so it can be correctly (down/up)graded. I also read, though, that if you plan on making a new hosting package, then you have to delete the one you're already using.

I made a backup of my site recently, so I suppose I'm safe for if I HAVE to delete my current package, but truth be told I just do not know what to do. Can someone give me advice?

Oh, and appologies for the bad title. I couldn't really think of how to explain my problem in one sentence, though...

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)

I am not very sure whether it works or not, but I had seen an option to change your domain/sub-domain for 15 credits
(yes, our old credits) at https://support.xisto.com/
Login with your userid and you'll see that option. You may try that...

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

Hmmm it is a toughy, especially if your using MySQL databases then you have to start from scratch and if you have a lot of content that is going to hurt you a lot. However, I suggest that you get a TLD and then park it to your account and that way you can keep the files on your current subdomain but you can use the new TLD to run everything.Of course, I can be way off on the MySQL because I am not quite sure what happens when you upload MySQL databases under a new name and so someone could shed some light on that one. Either way your options are keep the sub domain, keep the sub-domain and get a Top Level Domain, or if confirmed Move any MySQL into the new sub domain.

Hmmm it is a toughy, especially if your using MySQL databases then you have to start from scratch and if you have a lot of content that is going to hurt you a lot.

The main content of my site is a MediaWiki installation, which does use at least one MySQL database, and that was another thing I was worried about. But I don't consider it as having "a lot of content", since I only have 11 truly unique articles on that site which I can easily back up to a Word Document or something, so I don't think it's too much bother if I have to lose the MySQL database.
xpress - Thanks for reminding me of that link, but does anyone know if it works any more?