xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darkpsy

How To Deal With Customer Support Agents

Since I own a webhosting company, I figured I would post a guide on how to deal with Customer Support Agents. Although this doesn't apply to Xisto or my company, it will work for most of the larger companies you deal with.

I'm constantly asked how one should deal with idiotic agents, and this is what I tell them:

DON'T exaggerate when stating your problem. They have account notes at their disposal and they will know if you are lying.

DO explain your problem in detail, but don't ramble on and on about it.

DON'T demand something be done that very day. Sometimes your problem will be fixed today if it is minor, but if a tech needs to come out, expect the next day.

DO ask to speak to a supervisor if you aren't satisfied, but DON'T become irate before you ask. Its wrong, but most agents will be happy to terminate the call if you become irate.

DON'T immediately ask for a supervisor right off the bat. Most of the time, you won't need a supervisor if it is something simple to solve. If it isn't, and you still aren't satisfied, see #4 above.

DON'T call the retentions department for the sole purpose of obtaining a credit. The first time you call, you may be successful, but if you call again, don't expect anything except a question "When do you want to cancel."

In addition, always get the agent's name and ID number so you can tell it to the supervisor. If you were escalated many times, but you still aren't satisfied with the answer, you can also call the corporate office. Here is a list of many popular company's corporate offices (US only, sorry):

Comcast Cablevision, Inc.

1500 Market Street

Philadelphia, PA 19102-2148

Phone: 215-665-1700

Fax: 215-981-7790

Verizon (Home Phone and DSL)

140 West Street

New York, NY 10007

Phone: 212-395-1000

Time Warner

One Time Warner Center

North Tower

New York, NY 10019

Phone: 212-364-8200

I will update this thread with more contact information as I get it!