xisto Community
Tran-Gate

Gaming Servers Free Servers?

You know how MMOs need servers for everyone to connect to them? Well....is it possible to somehow to get servers for free or that are only available when you are on the computer? Can you somehow make your webpage a server to connect to?

While there are MMO servers out there that are available to the public, installing and using them are illegal. As for turning your webpage into a "server" you can connect to, even if you were able to do something like this (which would be a lot of work on your end), I believe it would still violate the Terms and Conditions of whatever game server you are hoping to emulate.Hope this helps.

You know how MMOs need servers for everyone to connect to them? Well....is it possible to somehow to get servers for free or that are only available when you are on the computer? Can you somehow make your webpage a server to connect to?

If you are trying to connect to a game server, or make your own server based on that game, I would say that would violate TOS of that game.

But if you're asking if your computer could act as a server for your own game that you legally built, then it is possible, but that would take a lot of work and programming skills.

Or, you could buy a server through your internet using that host, or buy a server yourself and put files into your own server at home.

The old school way is converting an extra computer in your house into a server with the help of no-ip.org for your dynamic IP. PHP/ASP for website to server pipeline while MSSQL for the database.The money method is to buy a hostname, dedicated host and you start from there.

Not for an MMO, no.But you can use Hamachi for games that allow you to play over LAN, as that's what Hamachi is, a virtual LAN.. (e.g. CS, Diablo, Warcraft, ...)

If you are going to create a public MMO server, it will (most likely) violate the TOS of the original provider. They can also sue you or press charges for copyright infringement.

Apologies, I didn't see you weren't going to create a private server. However, it is still illegal and it doesn't appear that phases the person who started a similar thread.

Heh, private servers are fun. They are definitely illegal though, you're right.I have experience in making multiplayer games. I once tried to make an mmo style game and it was just too annoying. Not the actual game, but just making the server run quickly enough to make the experience worth while! Over this upcoming summer break I will be working on my online 3d fighting game. Now I'll be able to use something like hamachi and not have to worry about massive servers anymore...So if you don't even know what kind of server you'll be needing, start small. If you want a mmo on your website make a browser based game like a card game or a browser rpg. If you work hard you can be success (runescape, although this is stretching it, society building games, tribe wars, etc.).If you want a "REAL" mmo you'll need a server. Really. You will, and it's not free. And the development of the game is probably not going to be free either unless you want to invest tons of time and effort.If you want some more info, let me know. I'll be happy to give you some more insight.BTW, don't analyse my response too thoroughly. I know there are "holes" that may mislead people if it is read with the intent of following. Remember, if you actually want to go out and do somethign like this based on my advice, let me know! I will make a better post.

You can have your own computer running as a game server without any webserver software installed. You would need to port forward the right port with your router, and you have to configure the server to send and receive data on that port. If you are trying to run a dedicated server of like Call of Duty or some such thing, then there should be an option when you start the server to pick a port, then you have to port forward that port. If you are talking about programming your own server, then you can set the sockets (or whatever you are using) to talk on the right port.

According to my understanding i suppose you can use wamp and no-ip.org in combination to make your own computer as server....If you want more detail on this let me know