xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cragllo

Need Suggetions

I am re-designing my sims website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I need a new layout and colour scheme, any suggetions?
I was thinking of a lime green colour for the logo, and a dark background, like it is now, but i want it to be different...

I need help... Im having a 'designers block' lol

Thank you,
craig.

Edited by cragllo (see edit history)

You could try inserting more colours. You don't have to stick to just white, black and that one green colour you have. A quick google gave me this, look at the biohazard thing in the middle, he's using a gradient from dark green to light yellowish green. So don't be afraid to throw in some more different colours.

Putting some colour into the menu bar might be nice. Something with stripes or gradient colours perhaps? And while I'm on the menu bar, I'd move it a bit from the top and left edge of the page, give it some more room.

And on your site it says it's optimized for 1024x768, but I think about 30% of normal internetters still use 800x600 (I'm not exaggerating), so you might want to consider some design that works on smaller screens as well, 30% is more than enough to put some extra effort in.

Other things you might try: changing the borders around the content from those solid grey things to the dotted things like you have around the google search things on your site.

And a technical note: I'd stop using tables for layout purposes and use CSS instead (although it can be tricky sometimes for vertical layout). And make the page so it validates, which will mean that your page should look okay in any browser, not just the one you picked to test it in. When I checked just now, your page had 96 errors.

Good luck with the re-design! :P

Hmmm... the website doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment, it just stays blank and doesn't seem to load. So I'll try to visit it again and take a look at it later and then edit my post and add more suggestions if I have any. :P What I can suggest now is, you say you want to keep the colors as you have it now, lime green and a dark background? I suppose if you wanted something different, you could just mix and use different shades of those colours in your new layout.

Change the colours to make it more interesting, and also at the moment the template is a little bit boring, but it isn't bad. It just needs a little change, more colours and well it needs a bit something..I'm sure you'll make a nice new design:)

I would try something other than black for the font color, and why not try yellow, or something like a yellow/orange gradient color scheme for the title bar? other than that, I think the basic idea you have going, designwise, seems to pretty much work.