xisto Community
Atlantis

Is Anyone Else Sick Of....

The mass of people who swoon over the Twilight series?Don't get me wrong -- I've read all of the books myself, and they were all right, but why are people going completely nuts about them? This is almost as bad as when Harry Potter first became popular...if not more so.I mean...come on!They're just books...and no matter how good they may be, it's not use going on and on about how you'll make Edward Cullen yours, or some such nonsense. (Not to mention the fact that, even if Edward were real, it wouldn't happen. Remember Bella? His WIFE?)Anyone else share my feelings on this?

Well, if the books weren't specifically bad, I say you just let the lesser people do their thing. (I've never read them and so I can't give an objective opinion)Ours is a cult culture. We attach ourselves to things and make them into our own personal Gods.This is what happened with Brittney Spears and more recently Miley Cyrus. Just because we are told to like them by the popular media, we do. And we like them to the point of ravenous flame wars on youtube and forum sites. They're not good. As a matter of fact, they're below average. Miley dances like an epileptic. Or High School Musical. I have met grown women that like this series. But I have never seen a weaker plot or worse songwriting! Merely because they were told that it was good, they appreciate it.So if people want to go googlie eyes over this series of books, at least the books are decent. People have to attach themselves to something in order to get through the day. At least this time it's not absolute dross.Perhaps, when the series dips to blatant fanservice and it's just unintelligible from a literary standpoint, then we can tear it apart for being horrible. It's not to that point yet, is it?

Wheresoever did I imply I wanted to rip it apart for being horrible?I had simply clearly mentioned how I think it's pathetic so many people are attaching themselves to it like it's some sort of lifestyle.

Well, yes. It's pathetic. But many people would say that we're pathetic for posting on a forum. They would say that we're social degenerates with no lives. So what is it? Does the opinion of anther person affect anything?Personally, I've always been of the opinion that if someone wants to jump around like a monkey and fling poo at everything, they can do that. Unless they hit me with the poo, I'm totally unaffected and aloof.I'm not going to be very mean to these people. Twilight is probably the first decent literature that they've ever read. It's not like people like that pick up dickens or hemingway as enjoyment reading. So they find something mediocre and exalt it. That's life. I say just deal with it the way I do. Act smugly superior by waving your hand and snorting. Or whatever helps you sleep at night.