xisto Community
saitunes

Want A Light Or Stripped Down Xp Install?

I was reading an article http://lifehacker.com/374376/trim-down-windows-to-the-bare-essentials About how to strip down XP. It looks good, and relatively easy.

I have not tried it yet. And will (hopefully) this weekend. I Will let you know how it goes.

(I'm wanting to run Windows in a Virtual machine on my mac. But the regular windows XP is too bloated for me. And seems to be the only one with "Full" Utilities like seamless/Coherence modes etc.)

Finger Crossed.

If you want to trim down to 350mb and ready to shell 40 dollars then xplite is for you. This is what they say:

A Smaller Footprint Windows!
The latest developments in XPLite now see clean installations of Windows XP in under 350MB and Windows 2000 approaching less than 200 MB (excluding paging file) with much smaller memory requirements! These sizes are obtained simply by running XPLite/2000Lite on a fresh install of windows. Enterprising developers should easily be able to strip out additional log files, INF files and unused drivers to reduce the footprint by another 50MB or so. If your goal is to run a dedicated task in as little storage as possible - then look no further than XPlite.

I just told it because it was not in that article. But I saw something called nlite there. May be it is almost same as xplite.

What I do: Apart from trimming, I disable most of the services(almost all) and still get out the os to working perfectly for me.
Edited by pasten (see edit history)

Interesting as it is, I wouldn't mind seeing lifehacker going through and setting up a working stripped down version of Vista, if it at all possible. Of course the reasons are obvious because all the clutter it has and what not, but I have a strange feeling that because of all integrated vista is that it would a little tricky to do without crashing the system in some way.

There is a program called nLite that does this I believe.Alternatively you can find versions of XP as small as 50MB around the web. They are pirated but if you purchased a genuine license of XP you could use that serial number to register and make it legal.

In The article it tells of the three ways to trim it down, Nlite trimming the install CD (and burning a new one), A utility to make it run faster, and a post install trimmer xplite.I did it and made 3 different Xp Install CDs With nLite. Two out of three worked. One just keeps loading itself and re-formatting the drive and re-copying the files for installation. its caught in a loop for whatever reason. It serves a purpose. I just use it in a virtual machine on my mac. it works great. Right now XP Plus a few programs is all up 1.3 gig or something like that. It's Great! I wonder how my trimmed XP would work on older hardware. I can run it with 64mb Ram on my dual core mac... I wonder what it would be like on something with less impressive specs.Nlite works a treat. Just curious, Is it Legal?EDIT: I worked out why it keeps reformatting and recopying the files, I set it to not show the 'press any key to boot from cd' And thus it keeps booting from CD.

Edited by saitunes (see edit history)

XP is already so easy and simple....i don't think its worth stripping it down unless you are using it for a few specific tasks...but yeah, Its a good idea to strip down vista....i really feel it has some unwanted programs and we can strip a lot of things in it and make it much faster than it is now....The best thing is, that we can make it as we want it to be...Only if it works normal after that...i mean i doubt it will crash frequently....