xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bureX

Msi Pc54g2 Wireless Card (avoid It!) This card is a piece of junk

Avoid the MSI PC54G2 wireless 802.11b/g PCI card!!!I bought it, and I used it with 10 meters of low loss cable and a 18dbi antenna. The AP that I am trying to connect to is <1km away, and I have perfect LOS (line of sight).I tried to tune the antenna to the right position, but the greatest signal that I was able to get is -80dbm (low/very low)! I thought that the antenna was the problem, so I borrowed one from a friend (and a 15m cable also). It turns out that the signal was a little bit worse (-82dbm) than before, so I borrowed a D-link DWL-520+ wireless card. I was shocked to see that the signal on the same AP is Excellent!!! Still, the product specifications for the MSI card say that this card has 30-40mW of output strength, and the specs for the (above mentioned) D-link card say that the output strength is 40mW!I am replacing this card as soon as possible... I can see that this card is made for indoor use...

wow, 1km!? are you serious?I've heard of an experiment done in Australia with a USB dongle and a home made antenna dish. They were able to connect at 5km!But even 1km is pretty good, you said you had perfect line of sight, how is that? I'm beginning to wonder if I can connect to my school network which is less than 1km also.