xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Healthy, Savoury Oat Breakfast (japanese-style)

Oats make healthy breakfasts, but most of us are accustomed to sweet oats, which may not be so appropriate for diabetic people. Hence, I recommend savoury oats prepared Japanese-style.

There is a kind of Japanese savoury rice topping called furikake, which is flaked fish such as salmon, cod roe or sometimes, shiso (perilla) leaves, ground to a dry mixture, often with sesame seeds and seaweed.

The Japanese use it to top hot rice. But I discovered that it is just as good stirred into oat porridge. It is convenient and tasty. Aside from being healthier, savoury oats is also more fragrant, has more texture and is way more interesting to eat.

A note of caution: do read the label before you buy. While there are many pre-packed furikake toppings that do not have monosodium glutamate, many do. If you have time to spare, I recommend that you make your own furikake mixture.

I use the packaged flaked salmon, sans MSG (no msg), also available from any supermarket that sells Japanese products. I then add my own toasted sesame seeds and seaweed strips, which are usually available at places that sell Japanese food products. A scattering of chopped spring onion and sometimes a toss of togarashi (a type of chilli seasoning) completes it.

Oats, you can get from any supermarket. If you are confused by the large array of oats, a good principle is to buy those that are minimally processed. This rules out quick cooking oats and even rolled oats, which have been steamed, then rolled to flatten them. This makes them easier to cook, but also robs them of some of the B vitamins.

Personally, I buy pinhead oats, or steel cut oats, where the grain is merely cut into smaller bits for easier cooking. This retains the crunchiness of the cereal, which I like. While my friends claim they take longer to cook, 20 miuntes of simmering is enough for me.

Steel cut oats are whole grains, making them the healthier choice. They contain high levels of protein, B vitamins plus calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc. More importantly, they are a good source of soluble fibre. Low in fat and high in soluble fire, it can help reduce blood cholesterol. Oats also has a low glycaemic index, which means they are absorbed into the blood stream more slowly, helping to keep blood sugar levels steady.

Japanese Oat Porridge (for one)

Ingredients:

? cup oats

1 to 2 cups water, depending on how thick you like your porridge

A pinch of salt

1 tablespoon dried salmon flakes

1 tablespoon seaweed strips

1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

Chopped spring onion

Togarashi seasoning (optional)

Instructions:

1. Place oats in a small pot together with two cups of water if you like a thinner consistency.

2. Bring to boil and then turn down the fire to low, stirring now and then to prevent sticking. It should take around 20 minutes.

3. Add a pinch of salt and taste to see if you like the consistency, otherwise cook a little longer.

4. Top with dried salmon flakes, seaweed strips, sesame seeds and spring onion. Add a shake of togarashi seasoning if you like it spicy.

Tip: Eat immediately. Do not leave it for too long or it won?t taste nice when cold and coagulated.

You're right...oats are often not eaten savory-style. I've heard that oatmeal prepared with chicken broth instead of water or milk and then topped with some parsley is very good. I haven't tried it, but I must admit I'm curious! My favorite way to eat them was always with unsweetened cocoa powder and salt. The lack of sugar kept it from being too rich, but I was indulging and having chocolate in the morning!

I am sure Japanese food is very delicious, and healthy.In Sweden, we also eat oats porridge, however, we do not like to add fish to our porridge, but we prefer to add sugar and milk. we also make rice porridge, especially at Christmas. We serve rice porridge with sugar and milk also. We also like to sprinkle ground cinnamon on our porridge.